Sign in to follow this  

Is A Crf450 Harder To Kick Over Then A Cr250?

Hey, my buddy has a 2005 Piped Cr250 that I can kick start with little trouble and I am only 5,5 and 150 pounds, is the Crf450 much harded to kick start then a Cr250 2 stroke or is it about the same, and also I have been riding since I was 7 and now I am 15 and have had numerous 125s do you think a Crf450 would be a wise choice for me? (I ride at a track)

A 4 stroke is quite a bit harder to kick than a 2 stroke.As for a 450 being a wise choice,that entirely depends on your ability as a big 450 demands quite a bit of skill and conditioning!

Hey, my buddy has a 2005 Piped Cr250 that I can kick start with little trouble and I am only 5,5 and 150 pounds, is the Crf450 much harded to kick start then a Cr250 2 stroke or is it about the same, and also I have been riding since I was 7 and now I am 15 and have had numerous 125s do you think a Crf450 would be a wise choice for me? (I ride at a track)

If your looking to go to a 4-stroke, I recommend going to a 250 before jumping straight to a 450. The power difference from a 125 to a 450 will be overwhelming at first, especially for your size. I'm only 160 lbs but I am about 6'1 and even moving from a CRF250 to a CRF450 was a big jump and I have been racing MX since I was 6 years old (18 now).

Yeah, actually I throw my buddies cr250 around like its a xr100 or some thing lol, do yall think the 450s are more work to maintain or are the 250 2 strokes more work to maintain?

Honestly, the crf450 is not THAT much harder to kick over than a cr250.. i have both. The 250cr has a pretty fresh top end and is no breeze to kick. Talking 190-200psi of compression with NO decomp mechanism. The crf450 has a decomp cam that makes it much easier than if it did NOT have.. I have had the spring off before and tried kicking without the decomp lever actuating under the valve cover. I about killed myself.

Now compared to a 125cc, it will be a bit more difficult.

You need to do a lot more reading before buying any MX 250F or 450.

To properly maintain any MX four stroke bike they are going to require A LOT more maintenance. I hope you REALLY like working on your bike now because a 450 will be much more work!

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy one, but be prepared to be your own mechanic for almost everything. If any part of that scares you, then save yourself a lot of money and stick to the two strokes.

Having said all that, yes, a crf450 is a bit harder to kick-start then a cr250. A friend of mine has an 2006 rmz 450 and his bike is harder to kick-start then my 450. I have no idea what his de-compressor arm clearance was set at, but that can definitely affect how difficult to kick start a bike can be.

Your really asking the wrong question. Forget about, "how difficult to kick start...." and ask yourself if your willing to put the necessary time (and energy) into properly maintaining and servicing a race bike.

Js hit the nail on the head. If you have to get a 4 stroke go for the 250f you will have more fun. I have both a 250f and a 450f and I am just as fast on my 250 if not faster and I am 215lbs without gear.I ride 99.9% Mx and a fast b+ rider.

Yeah, actually I throw my buddies cr250 around like its a xr100 or some thing lol

Then you need a CR500 with some motor work... You must be quite the rider. :banana:

my cr250 put holes in my work boots, but that kicked back like a b*tch. kicking a 450 requires a different style of kicking if that makes any sense. having said that, id say my 450 is just a little bit harder to kick over.

MY 09 CRF-450 IS EASIER IS KICK, push the kickstarter through, THAN MY 09 SX-250. WITH SAYING THAT THE SX-250 USUALLY STARTS FIRST KICK.

I am a longtime 2smoker owner (mainly cr250s) and have also had a 426 and now an 05 CRF450R.

The 450 is no nessacarily harder to kick over just because of force, but it is harder to start. If you bring it to TDC, then lightly push it just till the compression releases, it is as easy to kick as any 250 2stroke. But if you forget and kick at the wrong place "IT HURTS!"

also once the 450s get hot they are a pain in the but to start and you could kick yourself to death.

Now all that said if I were you I would go for a 250 4stroke before leaping to the 450.

A 450 4 stroke is not nessacarily faster than a 250 4 stroke. A good rider on a 250 will destroy a fair rider on a 450.

I am not a great rider and my buddy who is kills me on a yz 125.

In the end it is the Indian not the arrows.

This is my alltime favorite article

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/141_0605_beating_dirt_bike_pro/index.html

Mine is easy to kick. Very easy. Cold it takes two kicks every time. Hot it fires up with one kick.