Sign in to follow this  

Need quick xl 185 purchase advice

Hey guys, I just did a little cleaning of the garage and sold my S65. now my garage is feeling a little empty. So I thought I would pick up an old enduro/dual sport/ dirt bike. Just something that I can follow my Wife on through the trails nothing crazy no big jumps or hi speed racing. I got looking on KIJIJI and found a 1983 Honda XL 185. The guy tells me it runs great, has an ownership and would just need a brake light to be put on the road. He's asking $750 I hope to get it for a bit less. But in Ontario thats not a totally out to lunch price. I am just wondering if anybody has any feed back good or bad on them. Also if I am completely crazy for thinking at 6'0 185 that I will have any fun at all on it. Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers John

They were really very nice all around bikes. Not a speed demon or jumper for sure, but solid and smooth and great all around fun. Wanted one badly back then.

I have a 200 and you'd have a blast on that, though you could fit on something bigger if you wanted to at 6'.

I'm 5'9" and I look longingly at the 200 seat height compared to my 350 or 400.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I know I could fit on something bigger. I just saw it and sorta thought it might be a fun toy. Thanks again guys.

I have an 79 xl185 and am 6 foot 160 lbs and it works just find for me. It really likes sit down plonking along type riding and will do this all day. Enough power to lift the front over a small log etc. Only thing I don't really like is when you wind it up in 5th on the road it does get to vibrating pretty good. Oh and the front brake is more for show than anything else! Buy it, it's a fun lil bike.

hey guys thanks for the insight. Too bad the guy doesn't seem to want to get back to me about selling it anymore. Damn. Oh well always another bike out there somewhere.

Cheers John

They make great commuter bikes if you stay off the expressway. Change the gearing a bit and you'll easily see 90 + MPG with it. I've got 23,000 fairly trouble free miles on one. They are great for jaunts down back roads and putting through the woods. Use it for it's intended purpose and you will enjoy it.

Some advice.....Keep it gassed up at home and you won't be bothered with offers to buy it every time you stop at a gas station.

VIN