Sign in to follow this  

The mysterious disappearing coolant leak

So last weekend while doing the free power mod on the dizzer, I happened to check the coolant and it was about a quart low (pretty much empty). Filled and rode it for 22 miles and occasionally smelled something burning. Checked the coolant again and it was now only a few ounces low (coulda been because I did not loosen the air purge on the head when filling it). Started'er up on Friday morning and the right (fill side) radiator began steaming pretty good and increased as it warmed up. Later that day, fired it up again to try and find the leak but this time got no steam. :lol: It got hot enough to send some coolant to the overflow tank and then pulled it back into the radiator as it cooled, just like it's supposed to. Saturday took it out for a test ride, 30 miles, some traffic and got it up to 70 mph. No smell, ran great and when I got back home the coolant was full. :banana: So...

Has anybody had a disappearing coolant leak if that's indeed what I had?

Who sells hose kits for E's? Wheeling cycle supply only lists them for SM's.

Is the thermostat starting to stick, causing the overheat? Is you fan kicking on? Check your oil to make sure it's clean. if you have a case or head gasket leak... the coolant can get into your oil. and finally, if you have a head gasket leak... it could just be burning it, or putting enough pressure in the system, to push it out.

when you smell the coolant... do you notice ant steam/smoke at the tail pipe?

no fan or thermostat on the E

fyi Im pretty sure the 00 E had a different rad hose set up than newer E

maybe your water pump is starting to leak check the FAQ for the water pump fix

2000 E models do indeed have a different hose configuration. You can get Silicone replacement hoses from SAMCO.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like it might be a good time to do the cooling system service, water pump fix and primary nut fix while I'm in there.

Oil looks good, doesn't appear to be contaminated with coolant. Haven't seen any steam/smoke from the exhaust. Think the head gasket is OK.

The overflow bottle is empty except when the coolant gets hot enough. Goin to add some in there as described in the cooling system thread on the FAQ. Couldn't find the air bleed on the cylinder but from comparing parts diagrams, looks like that's only on the S/SM.

Read the water pump fix, so it's not necessary to change the seal on the water pump? Just cleaning and reassembling with RTV does the job?

The Samco hoses look good. Funny that the 2 hoses for the early E models cost more than the 3 hoses for the later E's or S/SM's. And $25 for four hose clamps...:banana:

no fan or thermostat on the E

Yup... I guess I was reading fast, and missed that it was an "E". :banana:

Welllllll....

If the coolant is disappearing, and the oil is clean... sounds like the beginning of a head gasket.

Open the radiator cap, and give it a smell. You will start to smell burnt fuel in the radiator if it's leaking.