Sign in to follow this  

Wobbly ATV after crash?

I'm new to the ATV forum, but Sunday, I was riding at a rather fast speed through some pretty tight trails and clipped a tree and rolled the ATV. Luckily my body cushioned the fall for the ATV :banana:

Anyways, I flipped her back over immidiately and rode off. When I got onto the road, something was causing the ATV to wobble pretty bad. I visually inspected it for a minute and found nothing. For reference, it's a 2007 Honda TRX250EX

Probably bent wheels or a bent axel. Get the rear end off of the ground and have someone spin the rear axel while you watch the wheels. It should be pretty obvious if something is bent. Do the same to the front to make sure the front wheels aren't bent.

Probably bent wheels or a bent axel. Get the rear end off of the ground and have someone spin the rear axel while you watch the wheels. It should be pretty obvious if something is bent. Do the same to the front to make sure the front wheels aren't bent.

Ok, thanks a lot!

Father wont be happy. :banana:

I have on right now, sitting in the garage with a bent axle....it happens!

Edited by reconranger

You didn't say whether you clippet it with the front or rear. If you hit with the front, you could have bent an a-arm as well. Also check your tie rods and tie rod ends.

You didn't say whether you clippet it with the front or rear. If you hit with the front, you could have bent an a-arm as well. Also check your tie rods and tie rod ends.

Sorry! I did clip it with the front left tire.

Should I wish for it being the axle or the A-arm?

There is no drive axle or shaft on the front of a 250ex because it's rear wheel drive only. The rear axle shouldn't be bent unless the rear end took a decent hit when it rolled over.

The possibilities are any combination of the following: a bent rim, bent tie-rod, or a bent a-arm. You better hope the a-arm mounts on the frame aren't bent. Compare the two sides and see if you can tell if anything's bent.

Grab the top of the tire and wiggle it side to side to see if there's any play, do this on both sides for comparison. If there's extra play it may be a tie rod--or if the alignment is clearly off compared to the right tire. It could also be the bushings on the a-arm frame mounts, or bent mounts.

Also, take the front left tire off and roll them around and see if it's oval shaped. If you really want to be sure, take the tire off the rim and roll the rim on a hard surface.

Good point North Star. I've also seen a quad that had the frame bent in at the rear lower a-arm attachment point which gave that side an excessive amount of toe-out. That would probably be the worst to fix.