Sign in to follow this  

1991 DRZ650s needs 30+ kicks to start please help

This thing doesn't like ot start. I have the carb off and everything looks ok. Air fuel screw is 2 1/2 turns out. I think it needs more fuel on start up. Choke seems ok. t has sparl to both pugs (I don't know why it has 2 plugs) Any Ideas? I'll try just about anything to get it out of the basement.

Thank you

Mike

I have a 90 650 and have had starting problems. It's important to go through the basics: good spark, good plug, clean carb, clean tank, good gas, no air leaks, no sticky floats, the petcock works. That was a problem with mine.

It's also important to understand how it's supposed to work.

The choke is not actually a choke, it opens up a separate flow of fuel, this is actuated by vacuum, so the throttle must be closed when starting.

The vacuum is created by engine speed, so it's important to get a good kick, not just hard but quick.

The drill I use is:

When cold, choke on, decompressor on, no throttle, push the kick starter until the decompressor clicks off, allow the kick starter to return to the top, then kick it like you mean it!

If warm, same drill, without the choke.

If it doesn't start by the third kick, choke off, hold the decompressor, full throttle and kick through 5 times.

Then start over.

Mine usually starts the first or second time.

I don't need to use a key, any thief would not be able to start it anyway

I am going to go through everything and check all that you guys have sugested. The fuel petcock has given me trouble in the past, so I am going to order a new one. Thanks a bunch!

Mike