Sign in to follow this  

05 yz250 suspension idea

I posted about my suspension a while back saying how it was so damn stiff, causing me to have some problems on the trails.

I do alot of trail riding and it's really unresponsive to rocks, locks sticks etc, feels like it wants to throw me off the bike.

You guys told me that the 05 suspension needs alot of work, but you said that with a valve job and the right springs, it would be worlds better.

I'm on this track, but I don't have the $ for a valve job this summer, I was going to try and make do with a couple simple things.

I was first going to buy the right weight springs for the forks and put them in, but second I was going to try and use the LOWEST weight fork oil available and start there and see if it makes the suspension a little bit softer.

Right now it's stock, and I have the clickers almost maxed out on soft, it made a difference and riding is defenitely better now.

Do you guys think that using a 2.5 or 5weight oil and the right springs would make a big difference?

Changing the oil and replacing the springs is something that I can completely handle, but getting a valve job is out of my league to do it myself. Shop pricing is also high for this, so unless changing the oil and springs does **** all, then I'll have to consider it.

Thanks for the advice!

If the 05's use Yamaha S1 oil just like the 06's then it should be like 3.5W or something like that, its already pretty light.

no harm in using 2.5 wt oil at the lowest level, springs are a must.

If the 05's use Yamaha S1 oil just like the 06's then it should be like 3.5W or something like that, its already pretty light.

This was something that I had not overlooked, but was hoping was not true.

The forks have been rebuilt (seals) before, I have no idea if the guy who did it used S1 or bel ray at a particular weight. I'll try the lowest hieght, proper springs and 2.5w and see what the hell happens.

Thanks for the help!

Changing the oil and replacing the springs is something that I can completely handle, but getting a valve job is out of my league to do it myself.

if you can change the oil in the inner chamber (and are able to bleed them properly) then you can also revalve the base valve!

I know this forks needs a bit more than just the base valve, but nevertheless it will work much better with just a revalved base.

be carefull while you remove the shims and write down the order. post your stack, your weight and if you ride mx, trails or whatever and you will get many (too many?) tips here. if not, send me a pm.