Sign in to follow this  

05 fork question

Does anybody tell me whaT size the Allen key is I need in order to take the forks apart? Haven't done a set of kybs before only showqs so I've never had to use that big of an Allen key. I'm referring to the one on the bottom that houses the rebound adjuster and the one on the top I'm sure they are the same

Same here... Should it just come apart or do I need cartridge holder tool?

man that thing was tightttttt. i bought a bolt that fit the opening in the rebound and put a bunch of nuts on it and backed them all together so when i spun on one the bolt itself would spin. snapped the bolt right off. went and bought the 14mm hex key for a 1/2 inch drive socket wrench and it was still stupid tight but i got it out. to void LV, you have to unscrew the bottom of the fork where the rebound is with the hex key until you can tell its all the way out and spinning free. then you compress the bottom leg a bit, throw a wrench on the stationary nut and then loosen the 14mm hex by the rebound again.

Make sure you follow some kind of directions or u will regret it when you mess some of those fragile parts up. Did you back out theclickers before you took the fork apart?

yeah i backed out the clickers and rebound, i've rebuilt showas numerous times from newer model Rm's and rmz's and a few hondas. not new at all to the fork rebuild. one thing however i do not understand is valving and never plan to attempt to figure it out.

Did you happen to have a 46mm / 50mm octagonal wrench available? The forks have a 46mm octagonal fitting.

Did you take off the top of the forks first?

This is just me being curious, so bare with me, no rudeness intended at all. How is it that you have done numerous sets of Showa's, but aren't interested in valving?

no problem guys. i have no intentions of learning how the valving works. I understand that there is different shims with openings and slits ect. in them but thats the extent of my knowledge. when you do seals, you can change the oil in the inner and outer cartridges without ever touching the valve stack. I rebuilt my 07 rm 144 showa forks two times, and i've done a friend of mines cr 250 twice as well. The showa forks are easier because they dont require the large hex bit (17mm nut) but the internals are less busy on the kayaba. theres just one bushing and washer to drive in unlike the three if i remember right on my showas. the 46mm box wrench is a must. as far as the dampning rod holding tool, thats not a necessity, neither is the fork seal driver. I use a piece of PVC pipe. If anybody is interested in a how to post up within the next 45 minutes and i'll take pictures of me putting them back together( to take apart would just follow the steps in reverse.

EDIT(just re-read kdx garages post): before touching anything you need to back the comp and reb out to full soft. you then open the top of the fork via the 46mm box wrench. drain the oil. Put the fork cap back into the upper tube and screw it in (just enough to hold it there doesnt have to be tight) you then loosen the rebound end,untill it spins free. then you compress the fork with it upside down so that the dampning rod is visible. throw a wrench on the nut on the dampning rod, and begin to loosen the bolt that your hex key goes into that you already spun loose. then you slide out the dampning rod from the cartridge, re loosen the top and pull the inner chamber out. then you pull the dust seals down, remove the clip that is behind them. next you juts use the upper and lower fork legs as a slide hammer untill the fork seals unseat and nwo your legs are apart.

Thanks for the post. I used to work on other people's KDX suspension as a hobby. I was always curious to learn more. I was wondering how you had worked on several forks without catching the same bug. :banana: No problem.

I have a 2005 KX250, the manual and some tools, so no problem on that.

alright. everything went relatively smooth for the forks being a tad different then the showas. got them back together last night. going riding tonight at a track under the lights so we'll see how they perform.