Sign in to follow this  

Making trails?

I have been making trails in the woods around my house but it seems like it takes hours only to get a trail that is about 100 yards long. The woods around my house are kind of young so there are a lot of smaller trees and tons of little bushes and thornes, does anyone know how to cut this stuff down faster or easier?

Rent a bobcat or other small tractor.

Any idea how much it would cost to rent one for the day?

Put a skill saw blade on your gas powerd weed whacker. You might have to drill the blade. Not Osha aproved be carefull it works on small stuff.

Get a few friends together, pay them off in free rides on your cool trail. Cutting single track is hard work. Look for obvious existing trails (rabbit, deer, etc.) and build off those. Don't kill any fuzzy critters, though.:banana:

Put a skill saw blade on your gas powerd weed whacker. You might have to drill the blade. Not Osha aproved be carefull it works on small stuff.

Yep, or just get a 7lb pick-mattock. Overhead swing to the base of the bushes with the mattock end... gets them out fast. 2 or 3 whacks for larger ones.

Ok Ill try some of them out and see how they work. Thanks for the advise!

i use a machete for brush and an axe for small trees. Bring plenty of beer in the backpack and make sure to wear long sleeves and pants, no matter how hot. If you live in an area that has cold weather in the winter, make the trails in spring when nothing has grown yet.

I've often thought a cordless reciprocating saw would be great for anything up to about 3 or 4 inches in diameter.

I've often thought a cordless reciprocating saw would be great for anything up to about 3 or 4 inches in diameter.

yeah if you had a bunch of battery packs..otherwize why not that thingy with the engine..oh ..ahh..a chainsaw:thumbsup:

just ride a quad where ever you want to go then just cut logs or anything that is too big to run over or if it obstructs the trail. i didnt have a quad for my trail it was heavily populated with deer so you no, but we made trails at the local riding spot with just continuous quad riding. just ride alittle then check ahead for any dangers then ride up and repeat

Betcha appreciate the hard work trailbuilders put in now don'tcha!

Ya those guys have to spend weeks making those trails!

A good pair of shears work great on anything up to an inch in diameter or so. I can go much faster with these than with a hatchet or machete.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1273482&cp=2568443.2568444.2598674.2601434.1260310

Yeah a good set of those shears is great for the smaller stuff. I use a swede saw for the bigger stuff (up the 4"), after that the chainsaw comes out :banana:

Like someone else said try to do it during the winter season if you have one. With the leaves all down it's much easier to see the line and deal with the brush. Just snip it down enough so you won't get hung up in it and then ride it. A bunch of rounds with the bike will get rid of all the little sticks and roots :lol:

for years I had a woodsman pal (awsome) recently my buddy let me use his "cold steel two handed machette" this is the sweetest tool for trail clearing ever if you are walking

it part machette, part ax, part baseball bat....the best part is it costs $13 for sure worth a try.....I was cutting 8" round sapplings with two swings.......no joke! Im sold!

and no I dont work for them..

try it out..

for years I had a woodsman pal (awsome) recently my buddy let me use his "cold steel two handed machette" this is the sweetest tool for trail clearing ever if you are walking

it part machette, part ax, part baseball bat....the best part is it costs $13 for sure worth a try.....I was cutting 8" round sapplings with two swings.......no joke! Im sold!

and no I dont work for them..

try it out..

Where can you get one of the "cold steel two handed machettes?"

I just break the trees and stuff with my bare hands because I am not a sissy, but whatever works for you. :banana:

Can't you just ride where there is an opening and use that as your trails. The woods behind my house did not have any trails made but me and my kids just kinda ride around things and it eventually makes a path.