Sign in to follow this  

Best way to clean a dirty, rusty chain?

I did a couple searches but didn't find much of anything. I've heard to soak the chain in kerosene? How long? And when done do you just wipe it down with a rag?

Thanks

O-ring or non o-ring chain?

Not sure about cleaning a rusted o-ring chain, you'll need to use some kind of solvent that won't damage the rings.

If non o-ring, soak in kerosene for as long as you have patience for (at least overnight would be good), then use a wire brush and get all the crap off it. I soaked mine in geal oil after, then let it drip for a day. Or you can just hose it down with your chain lube of choice.

It's a non o-ring. I guess that's important information haha

Thanks for the advice that's what I had planned on doing. If anyone else has other ideas fee free to post them!

Kerosene works just fine on an o-ring chain as well. It has enough lubricant in it so it won't damage the o-rings. That is all I use to clean my O ring chains

Good old diesel fuel, its easier to find than kerosene....

Good old diesel fuel, its easier to find than kerosene....

same shit, different name.

I agree, you can find diesel at any gas station, costs a bit less than a jug of kerosene, at least up here it does.

I had "forgotten" to clean my chain last winter when I stored my bike and when I got it back out I wanted a quick way to clean it. Had some Engine Brite left over so I figured what the hell might as well try it. Hosed it down and let it sit for a half hour. Then I just stuck it under a hot water faucet and everything washed right off. No scrubbing.:banana:

Or should I not have used it on my (non-oring) chain?

7040296_gun_eb1_pri_larg.jpg

does cleaning the dirt off the outsie of the chain affect chain life? I never bother with it personally

does cleaning the dirt off the outsie of the chain affect chain life? I never bother with it personally

It will make your sprockets wear faster.

It will make your sprockets wear faster.

how's that, the dirt is on the side not in the rollers, I've never seen anything cling to the rollers, even oil does not want to stay on them

how's that, the dirt is on the side not in the rollers, I've never seen anything cling to the rollers, even oil does not want to stay on them

Are you also MrBlah?

Well then you must have an awesome chain, because mine will get dirt in the rollers.

Are you also MrBlah?

Well then you must have an awesome chain, because mine will get dirt in the rollers.

Yes, on all other forums, this one won't let me change usrename

My friend, dirt gets into and onto every possible surface of the chain. Weather its the rollers, pins, plates or whatever else just because you cant see it does not mean it is not there. Have you ever used grinding compound to finish valves? Doesnt look like it will do too much to a valve does it. Of course it will though. Ground up dirt between your alloy sprockets and steel chains will do the exact same thing. And guess what else, steel chains vs. alloy sprockets = your coming out the pocket for a new one far more often than you would had you just cleaned both your chain and sprockets in the first place. Plus, it just looks better everything being all clean. It is so low grade when people come to the track with a dirty bike and filthy gear. Have a little respect for your stuff. Phil

My friend, dirt gets into and onto every possible surface of the chain. Weather its the rollers, pins, plates or whatever else just because you cant see it does not mean it is not there. Have you ever used grinding compound to finish valves? Doesnt look like it will do too much to a valve does it. Of course it will though. Ground up dirt between your alloy sprockets and steel chains will do the exact same thing. And guess what else, steel chains vs. alloy sprockets = your coming out the pocket for a new one far more often than you would had you just cleaned both your chain and sprockets in the first place. Plus, it just looks better everything being all clean. It is so low grade when people come to the track with a dirty bike and filthy gear. Have a little respect for your stuff. Phil

lol wut?

You kinda rambled there about something else, I was specifically talking about the SIDES of the chain, that do nothing at all other than hold the chain together, the part that wears is the rollers and pins they ride on

^^ agreed. How ever when it gets down to the nitty gritty. Who cares what others show up with. You and your machine are all the counts.

It amazes me that people worry so much about everyone else.

We know it's stupid not to take care of stuff how ever there's nothin you can do. So inevetibly it's not worth the effort to whine about it.

Ohh and I have ridden with dirty gear and bike. I how ever before I rode had the main safty checks done. I.e clean filter brushed off chain and lubed. I rode the night before had gotten calle out for work while riding. Packed up went home got in work truck and was out late fixing circuits for cell towers. Got home late went to bed. Next morning did a filter change brushed off the chain oiled it and went to the track.

So when I showed up you think I'm laZy for not having clean gear and a dirty bike? You didn't know I was out late the night before fixing a lifesaving service 911 ability for cell towers?

Point being is don't worry about others.

How rusty is your chain and how much life is left in your sprockets? The reason I ask is if the chain is really rusty and its a non O-ring you could possibly have a stiff link or two which could cause problems.

Also if your sprockets are still 60% or over a new chain is really not that expensive and with the time & mess you have into cleaning a rusty chain the cost can most definitely be worth it. If it is just your usual surface rust then diesel fuel seems to do really well but make sure you wear a really good pair of solvent proof gloves if you value your skin.

I did a couple searches but didn't find much of anything. I've heard to soak the chain in kerosene? How long? And when done do you just wipe it down with a rag?

Thanks

you didn't look hard enough. don't use kerosene see link below this guy really went the distance for us. really good data.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397

My chain was really bad. I wire brushed it for a few minutes to get as much off as possible and let it sit in some motor oil for a day or 2. It is now dripping off in the garage and it looks new again.

Is there something to put on the chain so it doesn't rust? WD40 evaporates after some time and all of the other "oils" I have used flew off after warming up the bike in my front street.