Sign in to follow this  

G-Pack from Wild Hair Accessories

Anybody know what this thing is.

It is a little box that plugs into the kickstand switch plug.

It is advertised to "Deregulate" or "derestrict" the DR650.

I imagine that 650's in some Euro countries have the rev limiter set lower or the ignition timing set so it gets less advance.

I was just wondering as I bought one, new in the package on Flebay.

It does not even fit the US harness.

http://www.whaccessories.com/G-Pack.htm

Weird. Never heard of it. Sounds cool though, might be worth the effort to just splice it in and see what happens.

It a timing retard eliminator (TRE). It advances the timing a little bit when in certain gears. Bike manufacturers purposely retard the timing on many bikes in order to meet strict noise and emissions requirements. This little device will supposedly puts the timing back to where it belongs when you are between the indicated RPM ranges and the gears in question, but usually only during the first 1/2 throttle opening. One you open the throttle more than 1/2, the timing isn't being retarded (the noise and emission tests are only done up to 1/2 throttle).

$200 is a whole lot of money considering that little box contains about $3 worth of Radio Shack parts.

here's a similar product:

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm

I had one (home-made) on my SV650. It seemed to make the throttle a little more responsive but the difference was very, very subtle (may have also just been my imagination).

As far as I know though --and I'm definitely no expert-- these TRE devices only work on fuel-injected bikes. As I understand it, the ECU contains the programming code instructions to retard the ignition, so I don't see how they could do it on a DR because it doesn't have an ECU (the computer that controls the fuel injection system). I believe that on a carbureted bike, the iginition timing will be the same regardless of what gear you are in.

Also the DR doesn't have gear position indicators so it can't tell what gear you're in at all.

The little plug you are talking about is the kickstand (sidestand) cut out switch so if you go to put it into first gear to ride off and your sidestand is still down then the engine will cut out. It's a good feature for inexperienced or non regular riders to save killing themselves. Just like the clutch cut-out switch that stops you starting the engine if the bike is in gear and clutch is out. The rev limiter you are talking about is on the right hand side of the carby and operates off a cam when you twist the throttle- I've taken mine off so I can wheelie...

Carby-Rev-limiter.gif

Anybody know what this thing is.

It is a little box that plugs into the kickstand switch plug.

It is advertised to "Deregulate" or "derestrict" the DR650.

I imagine that 650's in some Euro countries have the rev limiter set lower or the ignition timing set so it gets less advance.

I was just wondering as I bought one, new in the package on Flebay.

It does not even fit the US harness.

http://www.whaccessories.com/G-Pack.htm

I bought it years ago, for much less than listed price.

And I would not sell it to someone who could not use it either.

It requires a 3 pin kickstand switch plug and of course the US model is 2 pin, so it doesn't even fit.

I got my hands on a Euro DR650 circuit diagram and it does indeed have 3 pins.

One pin is a common, when the kickstand is down a switch connects the second pin to common and when the kickstand is up the switch connects the third pin to the common through a resistor.

That is what I believe is in this little box, a different value resister.

While the DR does not have an ECU it does have a CDI with a curve.

I think that changing this resistor value, changes the curve, probably in all gears.

Short the common and you get no spark or maybe a spark that is so far off in timing that the engine can't run.

Connect the common with some resistance and the curve changes.

It sort of makes sense.

[anecdote]

As far as kickstand switches, I took the rear pegs off almost immediately so I didn't have to give people, mostly kids, rides.

One night I came across a guy, a very tall guy like 6'6", who wrecked his car in a ditch and was out in the middle of nowhere, so I offered him a ride home.

He was on the back of my bike, shifting his feet around looking for a place to put them.

Every 30 seconds or so he would push the kickstand down just a little and the ignition would cut out, then he would move his foot and the engine would kick back in, he would hold on to me with his arms and just about pull me off the bike.:banana:[/anecdote]

I left the switch connected because I saw a friend on an RD350 fall bad because of a kickstand left down, but I will not give anyone a ride.:lol:

Dave