Sign in to follow this  

I'm in a pickle now

I got my winter project done bb kit new valve job from eddie new clutch jd jetting kit and a intake hot cam (ect) took it out to break in the rings and cylinder all I can say is this is a whole new bike this thing rips but after about 5 miles I notice oil leaking out from the valve cover half moons so I get her back home and find that the cam journal thread is stripped the one that holds the valve cover on intake side so I do some research on this forum and find out that the bolt is a 7m/1.0 and can be fixed by a helicoil so I go to a local car quest store and by the kit put the journal in my drillpress and very carefully line up for the drill bit it called for a 9/32 drill bit (.281) drill the hole and then tap the hole with the supplied tap from the kit everything looks great new shiney treads ready for the new helicoil to go in but the coil wont go in :banana: whats going on so I decided to drill a piece of steel and tap it so I dont screw up the new threads helicoil still does not fit so I put a caliper on the (od) of the coil and it is .345 the threads that I tapped are .285 so what is going on?I realize that I cant measure the inside of the threads but could the kit I bought have the wrong tap in it. if so what now or am I missing something. anyone else have this problem before

that doesn't sound right to me.

The OD of the coil and the OD of the tap should be close. If there is a significant difference, then the tap is wrong.

Just a thought... the coil is a little bigger so it stays tight in the new threads, and doesn't come out when you take out the bolt.

You are trying to install it with the installation tool... right?

Edited by Dr Honda

I thought I should of tried the steel for pratice before I drilled and tapped the journal but who would of thought that the kit could be wrong I took the tap and tried to mic the flutes by turning the tap until it got snug I ended up with about .327 and the coils are .346 I don't know what to do now

Just a thought... the coil is a little bigger so it stays tight in the new threads, and doesn't come out when you take out the bolt.

You are trying to install it with the installation too... right?

yes with the tool

It doesn't sound far enough off to not allow you to insert the heli-coil. Do it all over on some scrap and really try to get that coil in. You need to compress the coil slightly from side to side by twisting it in with the tool to get it in the hole you tapped. It kinda compresses itself when your inserting it properly.

is it a heli coil kit? has the plastic install tool?

Yes it is a helicoil kit M7x1 part#5546-7 it has a steel install tool I just cant get it to thread it seems that the hole is too small. and yes I tried to compress the coil I have tapped bolt holes before but never a helicoil I dont know. something isnt right. I will try again tonight after work

Edited by vincer123