Unexpected Rebuild

So I have to split the case on my 93 XR250L to replace the shifter return spring in the tranny. If I am going to pull everything apart, what else should I replace while I am in there? Who makes the best gasket kits?

The bike currently has plenty of power for the tight trail riding that I usually do. I have considered a 280 kit but i am not sure I really need it. It has exhaust upgrades and a pumper carb. Mechanically the bike is fine other than the shift problem. I will probably replace the shift shaft at the same time just to be safe.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

I think that I am for sure going to replace the whole shift shaft while i am in there. I was thinking I should replace the oil seals on the case as well since they should be pretty cheap and easy. I am contemplating putting in a new piston but don't know. Should I wait until I am in there and see what it looks like?

The shift shaft is the start of all the problems... when i got the bike the shift lever would not "neutral" to a center position. This is where the spring comes in. I believe that the cause of this problem is a bent shift shaft though as the shift shaft has alot of play in it and appears slightly bent to the eye. IT is very hard to tell though since you can not see much of it outside the case.

I have also read about so many people breaking shift shafts and having to tear apart the whole bike that I thought it would be an easy upgrade to prevent further maintenance.

This is the first time I have torn into my engine this deep and I want to do it right. I work in an oil refinery so I see the benefits of preventative maintenance and know the added costs of reactionary maintenance.

Thanks for your input

The shift shaft is the start of all the problems... when i got the bike the shift lever would not "neutral" to a center position. This is where the spring comes in. I believe that the cause of this problem is a bent shift shaft though as the shift shaft has alot of play in it and appears slightly bent to the eye. IT is very hard to tell though since you can not see much of it outside the case.

I have also read about so many people breaking shift shafts and having to tear apart the whole bike that I thought it would be an easy upgrade to prevent further maintenance.

This is the first time I have torn into my engine this deep and I want to do it right. I work in an oil refinery so I see the benefits of preventative maintenance and know the added costs of reactionary maintenance.

Thanks for your input

I see, I have read of this happening to others. If the return spring has broken this could be your only problem. Unfortunately you still have to split the case for the repair. Inspect the shift shaft then... hopefully you'll get lucky.

Perc