Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone race a 150f in motocross?

I've heard of people riding 150f's in pit bike classes, but never heard of anything outside of that

I do think a built 150f would be viable in cross country/enduro cross type racing, but I don't think they are good at all for MX racing..

Yea I'm planning on racing enduro but I just wanted to know if I could MX it. I read on here about someone that actually did MX it but I can't remember where it was so I figured I would ask.

I raced a 2003 CRF150F last year in “Post Vintage MX”. It’s consider legal in the Midwest Vintage MX Series because of the technology, being it has rear drum brakes and air cooled. Vintage MX doesn’t have the huge jumps like modern MX does, so a CRF150F works just fine. A 230F would be even better. I had a blast with it last year, and took first place over all in the year end points standings. Not so much that I did that good, but I went to more races then everyone else. Yea, I bought the year end plaque. This year I’m 50 years old and going back to the 50+ Vintage B class which is bikes 1974 and earlier.

A few years back there were many highly modified CRF150's being raced on MX tracks. The BBR customs that most have seen here are out there being raced competitively.

The 150R has taken its place as a "ready to race" off the floor bike so most go that route due to time constraints, funds or both.

I feel a built BBR framed 150 would likely spank a 150R and would clearly be much funner to ride!

Rules at most MX tracks are about the size of the wheels and rider skill level.

The friendly and easily modified motor has never been the issue with either the 150 or 230. The rear drum nor steel frame are not really major weaknesses either. The biggest hurdle for the 150/230 is and always will be the suspension. The conventional forks are capable of far more than people give them credit for especially with RT emulators, the correct springs, and a fork brace. The shock is the incureable ill of the CRF150/230F in my opinion. A $500.00 fix (Fox or Works) shock is the only answer.

The 150/230F's are campaigned successfully in supermoto and in offroad events all over the US. In supermoto, the 150/230F's do quite well on big tables, and doubles. I think that these bikes can shine in natural terrain MX and supermoto. If you are looking at MX/SX/Arenacross the way most tracks are designed anymore (think big triples) it surpasses its reasonable limits.

My $.02

I gotta take exception to some of the previous remarks: Since the 60s I've ridden many differnt motorcycles and competed in many different types of events. I've also competed in off road events using XR200 based motorcycles since the eighties. IMO taking a CRF150F to a track event is like taking a knife to a gunfight, the odds are against winning.

Have said that if I had a CRF150F and wanted to improve my track skills I think it could be an ideal bike because its lack of power will allow you to work on improving you cornering and tactical skills much faster than riding a MX bike.

Go for it!!!!

i race mine about every weekend in pit bike events.. most places call them big wheels if they have pit bikes or raced in trail bike classes.

Can you race our 150F's?

Well, IMO, you can race anything you have. If you are planning on taking the purse money every time and you're racing against CRF150R's, well, that might not work out so well for you.

BUT, if you want to get the rush of racing and really just have some good old fun, you gotta do it!

But wait. Here's the best part. If you line up against 10 CRF150R's, and you beat two of them, you get to raze those two because you beat them.

But wait. It gets better. The R in front of you, however, can't raze you at all. If he does, you just say, "So you beat me? So what. You have a RACE bike and I have a trails bike. If you were any good, you would have lapped me." That will really get under their skin!!! :thumbsup:

Yes You Can, hahaha

So people always look at me funny pulling up to the track, but I do actually take my 05 150f out in the 25 + class and well its fun passing guys on their 450s and 250fs out there. I grew up racing motocross and know how to handle a bike. My 150 has a BBR 175 kit in it and it with stock YES stock suspension just have to land smooth, but it pulls like crazy (once you finaly get going) its quite slow off the start but what can you expect from a mini 4 stroke. The fun part is catching people and passing them having to look up as you fly by.

So to answer your ? yes you can race it, of course most of us are too old for the 85 class so its any open class or 250f class. I recently paralyzed my left arm in a street bike accident (pulled the nerves from my spinal cord) and after major surgery and now 3 yrs of rehab I'm finally able to get back on the bike. But unfortunately i can't use my clutch. Lost the ability to use most of my fingers, so it takes the whole hand action to pull it in. But i Love my 150 because i can still ride the crap out of it and toss it into corners.

Just remember its about the Rider not just the bike, If you put Goat on a piece of crap 450 he would still go out and fly.

Edited by honda
video

Just shows you can, mind you i wasnt riding in a race but i was on the track practicing and having fun. My first time on the track.

4751124942_87f17d7628_b.jpg

4773017065_d2e3a8ab17_b.jpg

4773656396_0d8ac47995_b.jpg

4773655148_c2ea0393fb_b.jpg

150F would fit right in vintage class here, but theres year requirements... :)

there are several girls i race with on 150Fs. my friend raced southwick yesterday on a TTR125. who cares? of course you can.