Sign in to follow this  

CRF150 vs. CR85 forks

I am looking to get a set of front forks for a project bike. I want to know what are the differences if any between the late model CR85 USD forks and the newer CRF150 forks? Any spring rate differences or damping changes/improvements?

Swiss

It's funny that you bring this up now, I just got my CRF150R suspension back a few weeks ago from Fineline Suspension in Utah and he was tell me that the oil piston holes on the 150 forks are smaller than the CR85 forks and for someone at my weight and the way I ride, there was no way fix it with just shims. So it was either buy Race tech Gold Valves or get around this some how. What he did was use some off a different fork and fixed the issue. So if anyone feels that the forks are harsh, that is why. But anyway, the CR85 forks are easier to get valved and actually work. Now I have a CR85 roller with a XR100 motor in it and it weighs about 10 pounds less than my CRF150, But the forks feel about the same after what he did, which is what I want because my cr85 forks feel perfect. I'm running .40 kgs springs in both sets of forks. I'm not too sure what he did with the oil levels and the weight of the oil. Other than that, the other thing to consider is the CRF runs a bigger axle.

Thanks, I can always bore for a bigger axle. It is good to know that the CR85 is probably a better fork to use for my project. Building a hot Trail/Desert bike for a 5'8" rider (me) that is tired of using the tips of my toes to balance, especially problematic in off cambers etc...

Planning on converting to a 21" front wheel and 1 1/8" bars also. I weigh about 190lbs so I will need to go to a heavier spring. About what did the work cost for the complete set-up?

Swiss

Edited by Swiss
spelling

Not sure how helpful I'll be but I weigh the same and I rebuilt my forks myself, I replaced the front springs with two bro's springs weighted at 175lbs then I used 5wt oil at first and i was bottoming it out, so I redid them with 10 wt and it works like a charm, cheap and it actually works, I ride it on my pit bike track jumping 25' table tops and it's fine.