Sign in to follow this  

79' yz250 fuel tank

hey guys how are yuh i wanted to find a replacement fuel tank but cant find one, i found 80'-81' reproduction fuel tanks and was wondering if they would fit my 79' yz 250. Any help would be great thanks guys. :banana:(vmx YZ250-F)

Just keep an eye on Ebay, they come up there from time to time. You really need patience when you start messing with old bike. You might also sign-up and ask at Vintagemx.us. They are pretty good guys and real straight shooters.

hey guys how are yuh i wanted to find a replacement fuel tank but cant find one, i found 80'-81' reproduction fuel tanks and was wondering if they would fit my 79' yz 250. Any help would be great thanks guys. :banana:(vmx YZ250-F)

I have a local shop in Indiana that parts out old bikes so I have been fortunate to get parts like this from off the shelf, so to speak. I can call them if you would like to see if they have a tank there, I'll bet they do! Could pick it up and ship it to you if you need. Let me know. 317-997-2031 Keith

Hey keith, thanks for helping would the tank be brand new or used, if new how much would they cost thanks, dan

The tank would be used, but most of the stuff they have on hand is in pretty good condition.

Have you looked at Clarke fuel tanks? They make several "general replacement" tanks of various sizes and designs and come in the usual colors. They come with percocks for about $200.

Clarke has a tank for the '77 - '78 models, but not the '79.

I talked with them at the end of 2007 while restoring a '78. They didn't have a tank at the time and said it was cost prohibitive to develop a tank for the '77-'78 models. About 6-9 months later they had a tank! At least they're offering one though.

Just FYI - The '77-'78 tanks will fit on the '79 but the front mounts won't line up and you would need to make a bracket. Depending on your situation, it might be an option.

'79 tanks turn up once and a while. '77-'78 tanks are easier to come by.

Clarke also has a replica YZ petcock for less than $20 if you need a replacement.

I've got a spare in fair condition that I'd sell you. I'll take a couple of pics and try and post it tomorrow or saturday. I'm rebuilding a 79' also and have had trouble finding odd parts but as these guys said, they turn up from time to time on e-bay.