Sign in to follow this  

Can you paint a plastic tank ?

Hi there -

I've got a nice aftermarket tank but I want to change the color. Has anyone ever done this successfully ? How should I prep it and what paint/paint process should I use ?

Also, can I get decent decals ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there -

I've got a nice aftermarket tank but I want to change the color. Has anyone ever done this successfully ? How should I prep it and what paint/paint process should I use ?

Thanks in advance.

plastic tanks breath, the paint will stick for awhile but not for long, try a paint for plastics and prep with a scotch brite pad, good luck! :banana:

Not only will the paint eventually peel/flake, but knees are going to rub it away.

You could try dyeing it, or using a cover, but both of those have issues of their own and all of the above may just eng up making a good tank of the wrong color looking like a crappy tank of the wrong color.

Just using some quality tank stickers with the color graphics you like may be the best choice other than just buying a new tank in the prfered color.

Hi there -

Thanks in advance.

There are a few horror stories of plastic tank recoloring efforts gone bad burried in the depths of this forum. Try the search feature and you will probably decide painting your tank is not a journey you want to take.

Painted my tank and the rest of my little XR250R flat black. No it's not stolen. Anyways, everybody will tell you that when you go through some brush or drop it, it will chip and flake off. And…they're right. Around the gas cap it's pealing really bad.

So it's your call.

Hi there -

Thanks in advance.

Besides, unless it's ORANGE, the color's fine :banana:

I have read some where on the net that if you use a product from por15 that seals the inside of the tank then you just prep the tank like any other plastic auto part and paint away.

Other than that I have just finished reading a great right up by HollywoodMX about dying tanks.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5995675#post5995675 Might be a better result then painting. I'm defenantly going to give it a try in the near future.

Any one got a an old XR600 tank laying around they want to sell cheap so I can try the dye method?