Sign in to follow this  

clutch problems

need some help..

got a 00 yz250 and yesterday went to go riding and found out that my clutch wasnt working..i just rode the bike and changed the oil the day before and nothing seemed wrong and didnt notice anything carnaged in the oil..

anyways. i started the bike, pulled the clutch lever in and when i shifter to 1st it just slammed real hard since the clutch wasnt working..figured maybe i could adjust the cable to get more pull on the cable u no..adjusted it as much as i could and still nothing..i pulled the flywheel cover off there to see if the cable was still connected and pulling and it was..

got the bike back home and pulled the clutch out and the plates were worn but nothing crazy. i just changed the oil the day before so that wasnt it..the basket was worn a bit to but its been that way since i got the bike.. and the cable isnt broke..i ended up putting another used clutch i had in for fun..thought maybe i had it fixed but then the clutch wasnt disengaging. like it was riding the clutch pretty bad. i messed with the adjuster a bit more but couldnt get it right.

my buddy said that theres like a ball bearing on the end of shaft that goes from the clutch to where the cable is on the flywheel side..he said maybe thats shot.

any ideas

need more details on the problem.

Does the bike only lurch but does not continue to move forward?

Does it make any difference at all holding the clutch in or not when popping the bike into first?

Trying to see if you have any clutch disengagement or non at all.

When you pull the clutch cover off and activate the clutch, is the pressure plate moving at all?

Plates stuck together? My bike did this for a while when I first got it even though they had no visual wear and quit doing it when I replaced them.

Your problem sounds like its most likely in your cable, had a cable that had stretched too far and wouldnt pull hard enough to disengage the clutch completely. Talk about being pissed off after driving an hour to the track and paying but not getting to ride.

at first it didnt make a difference if i pulled the lever..once i put the other plates in it helped a bit.. now i can put it in gear but the bike still moves forward slightly with the lever in..and if i start to ride it and give it throttle it moves but you can tell the clutch is still engaged

no i didnt replace the cable but idt theres anything wrong with tthe cable..wen i took the plastic side cover off the flywheel side the little lever that the cable connects to was going fully up and down

Heres a method i use... when you start the bike while in neutral tip the bike towards the clutch. That will help get oil to the plates, while blipping the throttle. If that doesnt work REPLACE THE CABLE. Even though you dont think anythings wrong with it doesnt mean its not stretched because you think its moving the full range. Ive had problems like this in the past and its due to lack of lubrication getting to the plates or a stretched cable 90% of the time. Unless there are notches in your basket that are catching the plate ill almost guarentee that one of the first two options is your problem.

but if i just adjust the cable isnt that just as good as a new one? i still need some advice on the whole bearing thing and the clutch not disengaging

If the plates are stuck, start it up and give her a shove as you put it in gear. Once you're moving, take a blast up a dirt (or paved) road and get that oil warm and moving.

Within five minuets or so it should come unstuck.

Works for me.

no its not the same... if its out of spec chances are you wont be able to adjust it properly! and that is my advice for the clutch not disengaging