Sign in to follow this  

BMW F650GS to a KTM 690R

I'm thinking of selling my 2005 BMW F650GS and purchasing a KTM 690R.

I live in the high desert of New Mexico. I ride fire roads, mountain and desert areas. The BMW is heavy ~400lbs and has a 19 inch front wheel. It can be challenging off road. The KTM has a high seat (I'm 5'6) but I can lower it a couple of inches and set the sag to my weight. The KTM weighs ~ 300 without fuel. I think it would handle any trail that I would ride. It seems like no matter how easy a trail is starting out, it always turns technical, at least in patches. That's when the BMW gets harder to ride.

What do you all think of the upgrade?

T.

Wow, can't believe no one ever answered this? Did you end up getting the 690? Hopefully you did because it sounds like it'll suit your needs perfectly! It will do nearly everything the BMW will do but will rip it to shreds anytime the road gets to dirt. The only thing where it's going to lack is the seat and the windprotection. If you don't mind hooking up a semi dorky looking Spitfire type windshield for road trips and paying for a Corbin or any number of aftermarket seat foams, you will be in great shape and loving life! Leave the BMW to asphalt roads and gravel driveways where it was meant to be.