Sign in to follow this  

INteresting problem found!

ok so i was warming up my smr510 on the stand last night and when it was warmed up i put it in gear and was running up the gears. i wanted to put a load on the motor so i pressed the rear brake and there was a crazy amount of sparks coming off the brake. it was like i was taking a grinder to the dang thing. that floating rear brake disc is crap and im going to switch to a fixed one. try it and see if you get the same results!

also on a side not i wanted to do a burn out to heat up the tire, but the dang front end wont stay down lol. i hold the front brake give it gas and slowly let out the clutch and it burns out for like a second before the front end starts lifting up and sliding forward lol!

that floating rear brake disc is crap and im going to switch to a fixed one.

Huskys have some of the best stock brakes i have used.

for off road use yes a floating rotor works great keeps the dirt and mud off better then a fixed one but on a track and the road its not good! its better to have a fixed one, from my personal experience!

well just a thought, every motogp bike and all world superbikes have floating discs and i believe your duc 848 has brembo floating discs as well. just sayin'

also on a side not i wanted to do a burn out to heat up the tire, but the dang front end wont stay down lol. i hold the front brake give it gas and slowly let out the clutch and it burns out for like a second before the front end starts lifting up and sliding forward lol!

The problem with that is the tire was warm enough and the power was to great. :banana: It is a SMR510. :lol: Try that on a slicker surface on the rear next time. Results may vary. :banana:

well just a thought, every motogp bike and all world superbikes have floating discs and i believe your duc 848 has brembo floating discs as well. just sayin'

yes and no! my ducati does have brembo brakes but the rotor does not flop around like that on a husqvarna, most street bike rotors are floating in the sence that they are not one peice and they have full floating buttons which ensure optimum pad to rotor contact for maximum stopping force and feel. the husqvarna buttons are overly loose on the rear for off road applications whitch cause them to spark when your riding on the street. that is why im going to change to a different rotor one that is floating still, but that feels firm when you touch it, not all loose!

It sounds like you have some tolerancing issues...,

My take is that road/street bikes have "bobbins" to allow for different materials thermal expansion rates.

My Cagiva MX bike had floating discs..,

in the UK mud these worked fine , - but I found the Aluminum carrier wore out and let the disc FLOAT too much,

my suspicion is that your carrier is a slack fit on the bobbins/ disc if you have enough float to rub sparks,

Charlie

It sounds like you have some tolerancing issues...,

My take is that road/street bikes have "bobbins" to allow for different materials thermal expansion rates.

My Cagiva MX bike had floating discs..,

in the UK mud these worked fine , - but I found the Aluminum carrier wore out and let the disc FLOAT too much,

my suspicion is that your carrier is a slack fit on the bobbins/ disc if you have enough float to rub sparks,

Charlie

no its that way from the factory! all the husky's at the dealer had the same play. for the most part on dirt you will lock up the rear rotor before it starts to spark so its not a problem but on the street you can apply more brake pressure before it locks whitch causes sparks. either way im getting a new different one!

SM Huskys have a few world championships as of late, I wonder what those machines have on them, not just the rotor but the pad material as well, and the calipers. My opinion is that you are seeing the sintered metal pads start to burn.

http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/_vti_g5_supe_photo.aspx?rpstry=196_

http://image.4wheeloffroad.com/f/techarticles/drivetrain/9042188+pinline_medium/131_0708_03_z+4x4_disc_brakes+red_hot.jpg

My opinion is that you are seeing the sintered metal pads start to burn.

That was my first thought as well.

SM Huskys have a few world championships as of late, I wonder what those machines have on them, not just the rotor but the pad material as well, and the calipers. My opinion is that you are seeing the sintered metal pads start to burn.

http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/_vti_g5_supe_photo.aspx?rpstry=196_

http://image.4wheeloffroad.com/f/techarticles/drivetrain/9042188+pinline_medium/131_0708_03_z+4x4_disc_brakes+red_hot.jpg

well ill let you know when i change my rotor but odds are its not, cause ive done the same thing to my cbr1000 and took it up to 140mph on the back brake and no sparks got really hot though, started smoking but no sparks.