Sign in to follow this  

SnoBike for Mtn Riding

Beginning my search for next years toy. I'll be selling my TNytro and building a KTM snobike. Probably use my 08 450 XCW. So what kit is best for mtn riding and why?

hehe... KTM!!!

Two choices that I'd consider are 2moto and Explorer.

2moto replaces swing arm; more difficult to change between dirt and snow. Explorer kit keeps stock swing arm, heard the switch takes about 30mins.

Personally, i'd go for the 2moto. Swing arms aren't designed for snow use.

Were you at the Powderhounds club ride last year? They had two 450's with the Explorer kits.

skicooper4-4-09028.jpg

I would have to say the 2Moto or Timbersled. Those are the two I am considering.

I do not believe that kits which use the stock shock and/or swingarm will last for the kind of riding I want to do. Ohlins/WP shocks are not cheap, and wearing one out (or breaking it) while snowbiking is not worth the difference in cost.

i live just about 20min south of sandpoint, Idaho. the home of timbersled, and i have ridden there packages as well as the 2moto, personally i felt that the Timbersled kit was a better choice hands down! they have spent hundreds of hours tinkering with there product to make sure it is the best of the best!

I can't wait to try a Timbersled.. Being an early adopter of the 2moto, and having tried the Explorer I would have to say anyone recommending the Explorer kit is insane.. It's simply a piece of crap that robs power beyond believe.

I love my 2moto, but if something else is better, I'd be selling my 2moto.

You can buy the one from FrozenMOTO Industries. Don't Google it as are site is not up yet! We are just starting up, hopefully have something to sell next winter. Been working on are kit for 6 years now and are finally honing down on a worthy product. There are so many kinks to work out building a GOOD kit for a dirt bike that is was very difficult to solve all of the problems I want. Jumping, turning, deep snow, rough trail, and about everything else is difficult to get made into any snow related machine much less a conversion but I feel we have finally reached the point to that are product will perform to our VERY HIGH expectations.

Later

Randy Gentry

FrozenMOTO Industries

YOUr gonna just tell us you been working on something for 6 years and not show us anything at all, thats BS. It is great to hear of more interest in the 1 ski idea and many new kits coming about soo fast now. As a firm believer in the snowhawk all I can say is 1 ski rocks.

For the last 2 nights I have been hitting jumps on our local moto track with my home built kx snowbike and things are looking very good. Will have to get some pics for you all soon.

I'm no sure what new product is being worked on.....? , but I had a 2Moto Radix and this past spring rode one of the new Timbersled Mountain Horse's. Sold my 2Moto the next day. The best part is that the yz450 I was riding had over 3000 snow miles on it and nothing had ever been replaced, not even the hyfax! This design is bomber, almost impossible to get stuck and goes anywhere. I'll be riding a custom orange one on my KTM530xcw this year. Picking it up next week......

It is good to hear that they work that good. I'm very excited to get my new build on the snow. Still doing some moto testing to find the weak links. Thing really jumps like a moto bike. Can totally pitch the bike with brake in the air.

I'm no sure what new product is being worked on.....? , but I had a 2Moto Radix and this past spring rode one of the new Timbersled Mountain Horse's. Sold my 2Moto the next day. The best part is that the yz450 I was riding had over 3000 snow miles on it and nothing had ever been replaced, not even the hyfax! This design is bomber, almost impossible to get stuck and goes anywhere. I'll be riding a custom orange one on my KTM530xcw this year. Picking it up next week......

So how big of a difference is it and exactly WHAT differs?

Is the MH more stable on the hardpack?

Is the MH as fast as the 2moto accelerating and in top speed.

I am currently choosing between them before I am gonna place an order and I can not test it before, since I live in Sweden.

Any feedback is interesting except for rumors and 3rd person etc.

Regards Robert

So how big of a difference is it and exactly WHAT differs?

Is the MH more stable on the hardpack?

Is the MH as fast as the 2moto accelerating and in top speed.

I am currently choosing between them before I am gonna place an order and I can not test it before, since I live in Sweden.

Any feedback is interesting except for rumors and 3rd person etc.

Regards Robert

Well, my feedback is '3rd person', but at least I have seen them in person and talked to people who have ridden the 2 Moto. I think they are both good kits, but the Timbersled kit is a much larger and heavier system. You can tell that they come from different worlds; the 2Moto from the bike world and the Timbersled from the snowmobile world. If you were going to race in Snocross I think the 2Moto would have the advantage there with it being lighter weight, handling jumps better and being more maneuverable. But for most everything else I think the Timbersled would be better for deep snow and climbing in snow that wasn't packed. The track has a better approach angle for climbing up out of a hole - much like a sled, so it won't get stuck near as easy, especially in deep snow. It has a larger footprint too for better floatation. But it is about 50% heavier so it won't be as maneuverable and from the vids I have seen it doesn't jump as well.

Again, both are quality kits, so it depends on what you want and how you are going to ride it.

I am going to be boondocking (riding in deep snow in the backcountry) so I am willing to give up some maneuverability in order to handle the deep snow and have better climbing ability in deep snow. Also, the 2Moto kit will not fit my bike without some very expensive and extensive mods to my bike, whereas the Timbersled does fit just fine.

Well, my feedback is '3rd person', but at least I have seen them in person and talked to people who have ridden the 2 Moto. I think they are both good kits, but the Timbersled kit is a much larger and heavier system. You can tell that they come from different worlds; the 2Moto from the bike world and the Timbersled from the snowmobile world. If you were going to race in Snocross I think the 2Moto would have the advantage there with it being lighter weight, handling jumps better and being more maneuverable. But for most everything else I think the Timbersled would be better for deep snow and climbing in snow that wasn't packed. The track has a better approach angle for climbing up out of a hole - much like a sled, so it won't get stuck near as easy, especially in deep snow. It has a larger footprint too for better floatation. But it is about 50% heavier so it won't be as maneuverable and from the vids I have seen it doesn't jump as well.

Again, both are quality kits, so it depends on what you want and how you are going to ride it.

I am going to be boondocking (riding in deep snow in the backcountry) so I am willing to give up some maneuverability in order to handle the deep snow and have better climbing ability in deep snow. Also, the 2Moto kit will not fit my bike without some very expensive and extensive mods to my bike, whereas the Timbersled does fit just fine.

are you sure about the 2moto not fitting the burg? from the looks of it the berg has the same swingarm and suspension as a ktm, and i've seen 2moto kits on tons of KTMs online

Snow Hawk !:blah:

Conversion Kit's ? :ride:

Stop Fooling YourSelf !:bonk:

SNOW HAWK !:thumbsup:

Snow Hawk !:blah:

Conversion Kit's ? :ride:

Stop Fooling YourSelf !:bonk:

SNOW HAWK !:thumbsup:

Snow hawks are fun in there own right but a snow bike is a DIRT BIKE with a track. It is a very different experience. The whole reason I have designed and developed a snow bike kit for the last 5 years is because I didn't really like the feel of sleds and hawks. I and many others like me want to ride our DIRT BIKE int he winter. If we wanted a sled we would get one.

Im not sure if you have ridden a snowbike, and the one from snowhawk does not count but you should really try one.

are you sure about the 2moto not fitting the burg? from the looks of it the berg has the same swingarm and suspension as a ktm, and i've seen 2moto kits on tons of KTMs online

The problem is where the shock and subframe are on the new Husabergs (the new 70 deg. engine Bergs); to fit with the 2Moto kit the subframe has to be significantly modified and I was told this is neither easy nor inexpensive. Also, if you have bought a 70 Deg. Racing subframe tank, then you either have to refit the stock/modified subframe to use the 2Moto kit, or cut up your new $450 subframe tank.

I talked to the guy who makes the 2Moto kit and this was the conclusion I walked away with. Ask him yourself.

Snow hawks are fun in there own right but a snow bike is a DIRT BIKE with a track. It is a very different experience. The whole reason I have designed and developed a snow bike kit for the last 5 years is because I didn't really like the feel of sleds and hawks. I and many others like me want to ride our DIRT BIKE int he winter. If we wanted a sled we would get one.

Im not sure if you have ridden a snowbike, and the one from snowhawk does not count but you should really try one.

You might want to try something different as well.

You (or anyone else) should come on up to cook city the weekend of Feb 19th.

The biggest gathering of single ski riders in the world. Hawkfest has both bikes and Hawks, even those things with outriggers are welcome:thumbsup:

There will also be some filming being done for the only dedicated single ski movie that is produced. Could be some good exposure for your kit, also you can get lots of first hand knowledge and experience with the machines and the market you are going for. Get real world comparisons on your product against others in the market place.

Lots of guys that attend ride both bike kits and Hawks.