Sign in to follow this  

Accelerator Pump O-ring Mod

I just bought some leak jets from JD Jetting.

The kit also came with a couple of O-rings. The O-ring goes around the pump timing screw and pump linkage to increase the pump pressure when the throttle is opened.

I first tried just a smaller leak jet and it seemed to improve the throttle response. I only had a short time to test ride and then quickly installed the thinner of the two O-rings. I'm not sure it improved the performance, but I only had a short time to try it.

Does a WR250F with a de-restricted airbox and aftermarket muffler/header typically need the O-ring mod to increase the pump pressure? I still plan on doing some more test riding this weekend.:banana:

Edited by Sofiedog
fix typo

Yes. The work on the AP has little to do with bike modifications and more to to do with how/where the bike is ridden. After you have theoring on, you may need to fine tune the AP by adjusting the AP tming screw. Keep good notes. Turn in 1/2 turn increments clockwise. Test ride after each tweak, do not just rev the bike.

I found the "O" ring idea to be a subtle improvement (but noticable) to throttle response. Fuel economy has not changed. This also worked on my Husky 450. It is a worthwile exercise, particularly if you ride in the tight, ie you come round a tight bend and a log is across the track. The throttle response inprovement gets the front wheel up a tad quicker.

Note, be careful with you right wrist on steep descents, the improved response will make small throttle adjusments more impactive going down hill.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like you guys believe it's worthwhile to put time in to tune the AP circuit. It probably will take a while to fine tune the leak jet size and timing screw. It certainly was worthwhile to spend the time tuning the main jet and needle clip position. :banana:

Took the bike out for a trail ride for a couple of hours today. Rode most of the time with the thin o-ring. I then removed it, rode for a while, and then put it back on. Based upon my seat-of-the-pants test, the thin o-ring felt like it had a positive impact on the crispness of the throttle response across most of the RPM band.

Even though the bike is running well, I enjoy tweaking on engines.

I'm not sure what I'll try next. I may try the thicker O-ring with the existing leak jet (#40). Then, I may try different leak jets with the preferred O-ring. Then, I may try different AP timing screw positions with the preferred leak jet. Make sense?:banana:

Its just plain fun messing about with the beasts isn't it. keeps you out of the Missus' way.