Sign in to follow this  

Wear on Aluminum Rear Sprockets

I like the look of the anodized aluminum sprockets and the idea of reducing unsprung weight by a few ounces is appealing. However, how long do they last? I ride mostly technical singletrack and jeep trails on a WR250F. I ride about 1000 miles per year.:banana:

Aluminum will never last as long as a cheeper steel sprocket. The steel will do you a full year at 1000 miles and you never see the extra weight.....

I can't tell you specifically but steel is stronger than aluminum. Shaving a few ounces shaves sprocket life too. I'd go for the steel sprockets.

I have had my Renthol Aluminum rear on since 06 on my 450X , i ride single track and a little desert with it , but 95% of my riding is 1st to 3rd single track , and mine has held up fine , the key is not tightening the chain too tight , and keeping it lubed , as the steel chain rubbing on the aluminum is what causes fast wear , so keep the chain adjusted , and keep it lubed every ride and it will last almost as long as a steel one

Also unless your RC or Stewart , you wont notice any benifit by running the aluminum other than mainly bling(why i have mine) , i took a red one and sanded it and polished it so only inside the holes is red and the rest of the sprocket is polished

img5750640.jpg

Edited by 450XJimDirt

For the riding that you do, I would recomend the stainless sprockett. They wear alot better, and you are not going to notice the weight difference. If you're set on the anodized look, you can get a two piece sprockett. The inside is aluminum and the outter ring with the teeth, which is usually riveted to the aluminum inner part is stainless. They come in a variety of colors.

only bad thing about the Twin Ring sprocket your refering to is they are around $100+

so he might not want to spend that much on a sprocket

but yea the Twin Ring will give the bling and the light weight and will last , thats what i am getting when i replace the one i have !

I don't think the animals in the woods are going to be impressed by the color of your sprocket. And you're surely not going to feel the weight difference trail riding. If you're hucking yourself a few hundred feet through the air then you might want to cut every possible ounce of fat off the bike but when your riding for fun off road than durability is what you should be looking for.

I usually put new chain and sprockets on every winter, so a renthal sprocket set usually lasts me the riding season.

I am over the "Bling" thing. I now buy the cheapest steel sprocket and counter sprockets I can. You will never notice the difference and the steel performs better.

MAX!!!