FMF Gnarly vs Fatty

I was just looking around a different pipe scenerios and I ride both tracks and trails an even amount. Is a gnarly pipe too low end for riding on a track? I dont have a budget to get both and switch back and forth so I would be interested in comments or suggestions. I have always rode four strokes but am going to ride a 01 RM 250 once I get it built. If there are better options out there feel free to chime in. Thanks

Thanks for the response. I will look into the PC. I have been looking around at trying to decide what the best pipe is for all types of riding. I like the sounds of a gnarly type pipe because it makes the bike ride like a 4 stroke, but didn't know how it performed on a track. Im a slow rider so maybe it doesn't matter at all???

If you do not rev a bike a lot then the Gnarly pipe will be a better choice, it's a pipe that's very specific to riders that like to torque over and through sections. Plus the heavier gauge steel that it's made out of will mean that it will last longer.

I think the fatty would suit you best for an all around pipe. I believe it enhances the power across the rpm range. However, I ride an 02 RM 250 and I feel like its a bit low on torque and bottom end grunt. I'd love to try a Gnarly to see what it feels like.

I'm riding with a fatty (that sounds terrible, haha) right now and just installed a new top end. We'll see how she goes; my first fresh top end on this particular bike.

Buy thb gnarly and you and I can trade em back and forth when we need to! Haha, good luck~

Sounds good moto. Thanks for the advice. Good idea with the pipe exchange. How about you send me your fatty right now and let me try it out. If I like it I'll buy you the gnarly. If not I will ship it back to ya! haha

if your looking for a good mix, i'd go with the fatty and the stock silencer. the stock silencer works pretty well. I'm not a huge fan of the platinum, i like the look of the factory dull ones. they require a little more maint. but they look alot better IMO.

I agree with the factory look. Much better appearance. As far as silencers go, I was looking into Turbine Core 2 or the "Q". I will need a spark arrestor for a yearly trip to Silver lake Sand Dunes in MI so rather than buying multiple pipes and silencers I would just rock it all the time. I also have a flywheel weight on the bike. Not sure of the size of the weight since I bought the bike in pieces but that may work well with the fatty.

i ride with an FMF Gnarly and Q stealth silencer and i really like it. great low end and still has plenty on top. but i dont ride on tracks very much and if you are looking for best all around i would go with a fatty but i love my gnarly on the trails. have you even ridden the bike with the stock pipe yet? i know a guy that loves the stock pipes on later model rm's. i would ride it first and see what you think.

i have a fatty and i also have a shorty silencer on my 01 rm 125 and it has alot of power with that combo. the only thing is when you ride hardcore woods you really haveto keep it in powerband going up any hills or youll stall. the only downside is that its really really loud