Sign in to follow this  

Should I worry about disc protection?

I have a 2001 KX250 that I ride in the woods and high desert in the NW. I have never damaged either front or rear discs on any of my bikes in the past but I have been riding a lot more single track and more rugged trails recently. There have been more than a few times that I know I rubbed them and I was wondering what advice people may give and perhaps experience on different types of protection that are available for my bike. Thanks.

Definitly try and go OVER the rocks, not between them, alot of people will tell you this, but not only does it help you keep control, it keeps your discs safe too!

Definitly try and go OVER the rocks,

Simple and straight foward answer, just good advice:thumbsup:

There are F/R rotor, F/R caliper, frame, engine, radiator, hand and other guards.

There are plenty of times when even those don't stop severe damage, you can't guard against every unknown and the more you bolt on justs adds weight. Rotors are fairly tuff and bolted on very securley, chances are that a impact hard enough to damage a rotor would just damage rotor + guard and guard mounts if you used them.

It is hard to tell if a disc guard actually protected a disc after a impact, would the disc actually of been harmed without it? Engine cases are definatley much less resistant to impacts and skid plates are the one item that surley protects. Rotors are bolted to something with give(suspension) the engine case is fixed to the frame and has no where to pass impact energy to.

Thanks for the responses. I hadn't considered the give factor with the suspension, it makes sense. I never intend to hit anything, but sometimes those rocks just seem to jump out in front of you like the occasional tree that you clip with your handguards.

There are disc protectors for a reason, however in my experience, the sproket is alot bigger, and will hit anything long before the brake disc does.