Sign in to follow this  

Seal keeps blowing out

Hi i have a 2008 kx 250f and the seal be hind the front sprocket keeps blowing out and leaking oil i have had to replace it a number of times and its starting to get old.. i thought it was from having to much oil but even with less than your supost to use it still does it just takes a lil bit longer to blow.. so i was wondering if any one knows how to keep this from happining or how to fix it..thanks

I had the same problem with my KTM 200. I was constantly replacing that darn seal and shortly after the dealer replaced it each time it would start weeping again. So i told the dealer i bought it from(being that they replaced 3 or so times) to check to see if there was a sharp burr or something in there tearing the seal. Well come to find out, that was the case. They got rid of that burr and no more leaking seals. Hope this helps.

Are you sure its the seal and not the 2 o-rings or collar? Make sure both o-rings are still there. And a cheap replacement for those is to goto homedepot and buy a pack of the #67 o-rings instead of buying them from a shop.. Thats what fixed my problem... I would atleast check those 2 things before replacing the seal again.

my 2008kxf250 did the same thing it started out every now and than than after a long period of time it started doing it every ride with in 30 min or so.my buddie told me it was from to much carbon build up on the piston so it has to much compression so it slips out the cylinder and out were ever it can exit and it happens to be the seal behind the front sprocket. So i got a new top end kit 210$ and put it in and now it doesnt blow out. i guess thats why they say your supost to put a new top end in every 40-50 hrs