Sign in to follow this  

Putting a spoke in?

I recently got an 2004 ktm 125 but it has a missing spoke in the back tire. I need to get a new one in it before i start riding this year but i was wondering if there was anyway to just put the one spoke in and not have to take the whole back end off or have to get to the inside of the rim. Or would it be better to just have it done professionaly?

You probably have to take the wheel off and tire off the rim. This isn't any harder then taking the wheel and tire off like for a flat. If the spoke is still in there and stuck it is easiest to just cut it off with a cutoff wheel on a die grinder or Dremel. A hacksaw would probably work.

Put some anti-seize compound on the threads to prevent it from seizing next time.

Gary

if you can unscrew the broken spoke out of the nipple while its on the bike then you can probly do it. If it wont come out or the nipple is gone then it has to come off.

if you can unscrew the broken spoke out of the nipple while its on the bike then you can probly do it. If it wont come out or the nipple is gone then it has to come off.

Hey Mike, even if he could unscew it from the nipple - the nipple would be inside the tire - right? and to replace it you need access from the inside, so I vote that you have to take the wheel off, and break the bead on the tire, once you get that far, might as well take off the tie from the rim and inspect all of the nipples etc.

Oh wait - I just got it - you are saying he uses the nipple already in place - correct? sometimes I'm an idiot, sometimes I'm just plain stupid. BTW I just relaced a rim - and it is not hard, took me about 1.5 hours to do the whole job.

Carl Johansson

Hey Mike, even if he could unscew it from the nipple - the nipple would be inside the tire - right? and to replace it you need access from the inside, so I vote that you have to take the wheel off, and break the bead on the tire, once you get that far, might as well take off the tie from the rim and inspect all of the nipples etc.

Oh wait - I just got it - you are saying he uses the nipple already in place - correct? sometimes I'm an idiot, sometimes I'm just plain stupid. BTW I just relaced a rim - and it is not hard, took me about 1.5 hours to do the whole job.

Carl Johansson

Ya the nipple is still there but there is no spoke there at all, but i probably will end up taking the whole thing off while Im doing some other things to the bike before spring really hits.

I just did a Yam front on Sun and the spoke was almost a straight piece of steel rod, if the nipple had not been broken off it would have gone on from the outside on that one.

Some replacement spokes are a different pitch thread, be aware of that.

Better to break it down and put the new matching nipple in there with it.

If it is just another used spoke off a used rim, get'er done any way ya see fit!

abel i just did my 100s spokes and even if you have the nipple still in you have to take the tire off the rim and one other spoke out to just put the one in and you dont need professional help its not even hard....................by the way i just lillyed

Hey, here is the job. Just did it...

27021_365641295802_549110802_5341657_1657759_n.jpg

27021_365641315802_549110802_5341658_3480610_n.jpg

27021_365653990802_549110802_5341668_6749346_n.jpg

27021_365654040802_549110802_5341670_2881333_n.jpg

27021_365654060802_549110802_5341671_8338294_n.jpg

27021_365669580802_549110802_5341690_3419892_n.jpg

Note the neat little home made tool for screwing the nipples in from inside the rim and getting them all to the same depth before tuning.

Edited by sbest

Nice job, nice pictures.

Need some pictures of the truing job.

Did you clamp the axle in a vice to use for spinning the wheel for truing, or do it on the bike?

Did you blacksmith the tool wider before you ground the screwdriver shape or just grind it from the original spoke width/diameter? It looks wider then a spoke diameter and the last 3/8" at the tip has a color change, looks darker. What, did you heat treat it?

Gary