Sign in to follow this  

So its got more thump, but am I gonna get busted for it?

The p.o. of my XRL graciously spot welded the stock silencer into place, and today I finally got it out (w/ a friggin hammer and chisel ye ole fashioned way). She's a bit louder then I expected. Did dave's mod, desmogged, and LED lights awhile back so the bike wasn't "street legal" anyway but now I'm wondering; am I gonna get busted? It sounds better, feels about horse stronger. I guess there's a billion HD's running strights that are 50x louder but this after all looks like a dirt bike...... So has anyone had run-ins with the fuzz:busted: cause their piggy was too loud or am I worrying too much about it?

The p.o. of my XRL graciously spot welded the stock silencer into place, and today I finally got it out (w/ a friggin hammer and chisel ye ole fashioned way). She's a bit louder then I expected. Did dave's mod, desmogged, and LED lights awhile back so the bike wasn't "street legal" anyway but now I'm wondering; am I gonna get busted? It sounds better, feels about horse stronger. I guess there's a billion HD's running strights that are 50x louder but this after all looks like a dirt bike...... So has anyone had run-ins with the fuzz:busted: cause their piggy was too loud or am I worrying too much about it?

The insert in the XRL is spot welded by the factory. Dunno about the police in Ohio, but I would be surprised to see a local cop around here pull a bike over for being too loud. The factor to consider though is how the loud @$$ bike affects the good will that you are no doubt trying to foster amongst your fellow tax-paying, voting members of society. Let them hate the Harley ridin A holes... don't help them hate us too.

Harley Davidson, turning gasoline into noise since 1903.

Are you talking about the "core" as being the part spot welded in that you removed?

They are welded from the factory. You gain some acceleration by removing it, but top speed isn't increased, and you move the torque a little higher in the RPMs. I rode mine for years like that, and when I finally put a aftermarket muffler on it(IDS 2) I noticed I had forgotten about lossing the lower torque.

I didn't think it was any louder than most of the bikes running the typical aftermarket mufflers and often thought it was quieter. If you ride like hard and pass the trail hogs with full throttle, they may use the sound as a vent for thier anger of them lacking skill.

eh, I took mine out the new modern way, with a die grinder. So now I can run with the baffle out or in. I didn't really feel a seat of the pants gain with it out. The noise and the tone is a bit annoying. I just lay off the gas around cops and people. My jetting is 55 / 158 and probably need to bump it up a notch if I am going to run the poor mans High flow silencer. I pretty much run with it in though as I enjoy a quieter woods riding scene around here. So your choice. Even a lot of full dresser HD's are running straight pipes! Our pigs are quiet compared to those guys. A couple of Harley guys at work ride with ear plugs in. Can't stand there own noise!

I can not describe how much I hate the sound the the XR with that baffle removed. It is so unneccesarily loud, it's rediculous. Do yourself and everyone else within a mile of you a favor and put it back in. You aren't any faster with the baffle removed, I assure you. You are just 100 times more annoying.

I can not describe how much I hate the sound the the XR with that baffle removed. It is so unneccesarily loud, it's rediculous. .

So, is your XRs only muffler as quiet as stock?:banana:

Captain Midnight Mod # 148. Here is what I did to mine, very quiet with good flow.

XRL-pipe.jpg

What is inside of the end can? Dual baffled inserts?

So, is your XRs only muffler as quiet as stock?:banana:

No, smart ass, it's not. It's also not rediculously loud either. I have the optional baffle installed. That stock silencer, without the baffle in, sounds like a coffee can full of M80s. It's just stupid.

That stock silencer, without the baffle in, sounds like a coffee can full of M80s. It's just stupid.

So, are you calling those who do that stupid, but not the ones who spend $300+ just to end up with a louder than stock muffler anyway that frees up maybe the same power as just taking out the baffle?

I don't understand what the difference between stupid and stupid with money is, isn't stupid universal?:banana:

Nothing, but it's not very loud. Throaty.

You pulled the baffle out I assume? Replaced the end cap then with the double outlet?

How do you come up with all of this stuff?!

Captain Midnight Mod # 148. Here is what I did to mine, very quiet with good flow.

XRL-pipe.jpg

Dude, your fab skills and ingenuity amaze me!

Nah, you'll be OK. I had a loud hog once upon a time but was never bothered by the police. I removed the baffle on my XR and it's nowhere near as loud so I wouldn't worry. (That said, I won't pay your ticket!)

BTW, I removed my insert but didn't like the loud thump it made. I also tend to ride in "iffy" areas and don't wanna draw any attention so I replaced it.

It's also a spark arrestor so make sure you have it in if the areas you ride require it.