Sign in to follow this  

really thought i'd found it...

Took off the carb and found that the needle was loose in the slide, one of the luggs in the slide had broken off and the retaining plug had come out,

replaced it all,... bike still runs like crap, i was just thinking, i know popping and banging is usually weak mixture, but i can coast down a long hill with the throttle closed and it bangs continuously, surely with the throttle closed there should be no gas so it shouldn't be able to pop and bang?.

There is always gas, at least enough to idle, unless you've run out. Maybe obvious but sometimes we miss these things looking for a problem.

the reason it pops & bangs is due to the low volume of fuel. as you called it, a weak mixture.

give it just a little gas as you're coasting down that long hill & the popping will go away.

It was a jetting issue after all, put in a 160 main, raised the needle, 4 knotches from top, runs as sweet as a nut now, no pops or exhaust explosions, at last i feel i can go on a trip and it won't break down, thanks everyone.