Sign in to follow this  

Filter oil not Available. good alternatives needed.

I live in Cambodia and specialty products like filter oil is not available. Everyone here uses Motor oil of one form or another. I use the cheapest 4 stroke engine oil I can buy . I know this isnt Ideal so Im just wondering if anybody's got 2 cents to spare on Ideas of readily available oils or other products that work better than motor oil? IE. 2 stroke oil, gear oil, mineral oils. lets hear it.

Thanks

Thickest oil you can get? something like 100w gear oil at a guess

I live in Cambodia and specialty products like filter oil is not available. Everyone here uses Motor oil of one form or another. I use the cheapest 4 stroke engine oil I can buy . I know this isnt Ideal so Im just wondering if anybody's got 2 cents to spare on Ideas of readily available oils or other products that work better than motor oil? IE. 2 stroke oil, gear oil, mineral oils. lets hear it.

Thanks

Order it in dude, not worth using cheap alternatives IMO.

I can get 2 stroke no prob and gear oil although chainsaw bar oil is probably a stretch. Plenty of chainsaws but no one would buy special oil for them. They use multipurpose oil for premix in them .Thick gear oil makes sense and 2 stroke is pretty sticky. Trying to get mail order here is a pain in the ass. Next time someone makes a run to Singapore Ill get the goods but I dont think you can fly with that stuff in your luggage can you?

thanks for the ideas. I clean my filter every ride so Im sure Ill be OK

chainsaw bar oil

The only alternative to filter oil. There are some nasty rumors floating around that some filter oils are re-bottled bar oil!

Anyway, that's what I've been using for a long time and it works very very well. This is not the oil that you mix in the gas, but the oil that goes in the reservoir that lubricates the chain as it goes 'round the bar. I would think where there are chainsaws, there would be bar oil?

Thickest oil you can get? something like 100w gear oil at a guess

WRONG.

Do NOT use any type of thick oil - it will impede air flow.

Use Premix oil or 30 wt. motor oil.

Do not use too much, or you will impede air flow.

Before there was any filter oil everybody used 2 stroke oil. It is designed to go through an engine cleanly. Filter oils are just high priced 2 stroke oil.

I used to keep it in a sealed container partially diluted so that it would go on evenly and the thinner would evoparate and the only the oil would be left.

Don

Just curious, how did you end up in Cambodia? Do they have tracks there? What are they like?

Yeh, diesel to clean the filter and Ill try the 2 stroke for oiling it. People who use chainsaws here are poor illegal loggers who cant even afford shoes for their kids so I know they use whatever cheap oil they can get to lube the bar. Even things like kerosene and turpentine are specialty product that are hard to find here. Gasoline is the universal solvent and motor oil is the universal lubricant. this is the third world.

I ended up here on a holiday and had so much fun riding here that I stayed. I live in a city of over 1 million and within ten minutes Im on dirt roads with bomb sizes craters ,sandy oxcart tracks, jungle single track, rocky hillclimbs, and no rules whatsoever. I can ride anywhere. No body cares, no plate, no spark arrestor, no speed limits, no cops would ever even think about trying to catch me. We do have one MX track but its more supercross than MX. The whole country could be considered and enduro track. In exchange for that I have to use 2 stroke on my air filter. I think its a good trade off.

Before special tacky filter oils were developed, all the factory manuals recommended 30wt oil. It works fine as long as you clean your filter every time you ride. Do not use a multi weight oil like 10w30 or 10w40 as they will be too thin. Premix oil is also too thin when it is oil injector compatible. Only use a single weight motor oil like 30wt or 40wt if you can't get a purpose made filter oil. When cleaning, use diesel or kerosene to loosen the dirt and thin the oil, then follow up with a couple of warm dish soap water baths and a final clear water rinse. Wait until the filter is bone dry before re-oiling it as any water left in the filter will cause dry spots that will allow dirt to migrate through the the filter.

I just oiled the filter with 2 stroke and I can tell that its way too thin. Its bleeding off even worse than the 4 stroke oil I was using. I get a straight 50 weight oil here that seems to work pretty well so Im going to go back to using that. I do like how the 2 stroke I got was red though so you could really see the coverage I was getting. Maybe Ill mix some kind of water based food coloring in with the clear motor oil.

On a side note. From a visual examination it looks like the motor oil is doing its job just fine. All of the dirt seems to get trapped before it even reaches the second inner foam layer of my filter. I think Ill be fine as long as I continue to wash every time I ride.

I have heard that canola oil or cooking oil is pretty effective. its is light and viscous so it does not impede air flow too much. I would be concerend about fire though if she backfired through the carby.

it says use motor oil in my manual so it should be fine

just use what youve been using if it has been working

Yeh, diesel to clean the filter and Ill try the 2 stroke for oiling it. People who use chainsaws here are poor illegal loggers who cant even afford shoes for their kids so I know they use whatever cheap oil they can get to lube the bar. Even things like kerosene and turpentine are specialty product that are hard to find here. Gasoline is the universal solvent and motor oil is the universal lubricant. this is the third world.

I ended up here on a holiday and had so much fun riding here that I stayed. I live in a city of over 1 million and within ten minutes Im on dirt roads with bomb sizes craters ,sandy oxcart tracks, jungle single track, rocky hillclimbs, and no rules whatsoever. I can ride anywhere. No body cares, no plate, no spark arrestor, no speed limits, no cops would ever even think about trying to catch me. We do have one MX track but its more supercross than MX. The whole country could be considered and enduro track. In exchange for that I have to use 2 stroke on my air filter. I think its a good trade off.

Those are bomb craters! I'd ride through them as the flat spots on the road may have live ones ;(

I think you might be fourth world there :banana: I'm here in the Philippines and it is close to what you describe but we have a few laws here that are enforced to some low level ... Mostly in the cities and the further you push out from there, the more freedom you have ... We're third world here and have plenty of oils to choose from :banana: ... Bikes dominate the roads here and the girls are easy so I'm staying also ..

What bike are you riding and how old are you? I'd guess the locals gals are friendly? :banana:

PS -- I do a small race the other day ... Payed 300 pisos to enter and got a Qtr of 4t oil free ... then I got 4th place (out of about 7) and was handed a small plague and a white envelope after the race ... the envelope had 500 pisos in it :lol: ... how good is that!!! ... yep I'm a PRO over here !!!

And I like the ideas given so far ... Nothing can be wasted in the third world and everything is a luxury!!!

Edited by ray_ray

hey mate i did a tour through cambodia last year, i imagine you must be living in phnom penh? i hired bikes from two wheels only in phnom penh off an either aussie or kiwi bloke, he had a few dirtbikes there so maybe he could hook you up with some filter oil? He is a nice guy so I imagine he would.

here are his contact details.

Nº. 34L, Street 368

Phnom Penh

Kingdom of Cambodia

TELEPHONE

+855 (0)12 200513

best of luck

I've always used ATF. Worked good for me so far.

Can ATF be cleaned out with dish washing cleaner such as dawn or something?