Next bike??? single track machine.

i'm now looking at a next bike...even though i just picked up my 96 KX250 smoker, shes not what i was looking for. I'm looking for a KTM or Husky 2t or 4t. I like 4t's better but, im not too specific. I ride mostly single track and plan on moving to arizona in aobut a year. like i said im a 4t fan but not too picky, so any ideas would be great.

I've been looking at the:

KTM:250/400/450XCF-W's, and the 200XC-W 2t.

Huskys:WR125/250(2t's), TE250/310/450 andTXC250(4t's)

I know it's a lot of bikes, but work with me here.

i'm not a jap bike fan, after having them be mainstream for so many years, i want something different. My KX was a bit of a dissapointment with things going wrong, my DRZ125L was too slow, but otherwise amazing, and ive never ridden any hondas.

After constant dissapointment, and the same bikes for 1000 years i am interested in these 2 brands.

HOWEVER, i am a Yamaha Fan, and am also looking at the WR250/450F's.

I'm 5'9 and 130 and im 16.

The reason im looking at the 450's is because they can be plated, and that would be a nice luxory for me.

That said the TE250/310 are platable, and 4t's made for what i do.

I want to look for QUALITY after being p!ssed at all my jap bikes i need something that all i gotta do is change oil, and add gas.

2009/10 models is what i'm looking at.

Thanks a bunch..

Here`s a vid of what i do regularly..

Thanks to looki

http://www.vimeo.com/8810283

Edited by tayhay8
Added Info

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For AZ I think I would lean towards a 450, brand does not really matter as they are all about the same. IMO, in more open desert type riding the big bore 4t's are quite a bit better than any 2t, even though I really like my 300.

two very good choices, arent arizona trails more open though? IE 300 or 450-570 sized bikes are fun out there

if I won the lottery today, i would have a new ktm 200 and a new husaberg fe450 in the garage

if i won the lottery today, i'd be on a TE310, and my dad would have a wr250F, and whenever id have any trouble with the husky (yeah right) i'd ride the 250, cause he doesnt ride much..

I'd also buy a gun and shot my kx250 until i ran outta bullets.

Today i was all syched to go riding with some old buddies i never see, and the chain just mysteriously grew and has way too much slack now. I need to sell that damn thing..

No more Kawasaki's for me, EVER.:banana:?

For AZ I think I would lean towards a 450, brand does not really matter as they are all about the same. IMO, in more open desert type riding the big bore 4t's are quite a bit better than any 2t, even though I really like my 300.

As for a 450, im a little small for one.

Not that i couldn't handle it, but im fairly short, and in the tight stuff, i wouldn't be happy. on my 250 i can tippy toe. and i dont like it, but ill deal with it

I want to look for QUALITY after being p!ssed at all my jap bikes i need something that all i gotta do is change oil, and add gas.

2009/10 models is what i'm looking at.

Thanks a bunch..

Here`s a vid of what i do regularly..

Thanks to looki

http://www.vimeo.com/8810283

Get the bike Looki is riding - I really like mine and I ride very similar trails.

looki is riding a WR250F.

i've rode one and i loved it, but if i were to buy the one i rode (06) i'd be paying around 5K fir an abused bike. i've seen him hit the rev limiter on a daily basis..

As for a ktm 300 or 250 XC-W i would like a four stroke more i think.

i'm still pondering a 2 stroke but the 4t's are really ringing my bell.

If i were to get a 2t it would be thehusky WR250/300 or 250/300XC-W ktms.

But i really like the looks of that TE310

2009 Husqvarna TE 310

The Missing Link?

April, 2009

By Chris Denison

Photography by Husqvarna

They say: "Husqvarna has...

read full caption

New for 2009, Husqvarna's TE 310 enduro fills the gap between the firm's popular 250cc and 450cc models. The Swedish-turned-Italian manufacturer (now owned by Germany's BMW) is no stranger to odd-sized four-strokes, as the meaty 510 has been growing in popularity every year. Those who crave less power than a 450 but more oomph than a 250 have been looking for (or building with aftermarket kits) something like this for years.

The TE 310 is essentially a TE 250-it shares the same chassis, transmission, etc.-with a larger 83mm (up from 76mm) bore. Starting from a base of decent grunt and torque, the motor pulls into a solid upper-midrange hit before maxing out at the rev limiter. Just like a 250, the 310 must be in the proper gear to get the most out of its power; lugging it like a big-bore will leave you abusing the clutch, while winding it will get you nowhere once the revs hit the ceiling.

The difference in power is subtle but noticeable. When placed in the right gear, the 310 will crest a nasty hill that the 250 won't quite make on the first try. In a corner where the 250 would grab traction and toss a little roost, the 310 will do exactly the same but its front wheel will be ever so slightly off the ground.

The Mikuni fuel injection provides consistent throttle response, while the six-speed gearbox and hydraulic clutch are dialed for normal trail applications. The sound emitted from the exhaust is on par with the 250's, satisfactory in terms of noise and with a pleasant tone.

Innovative styling graces the new machine. Handling-wise, it feels heavy. Claimed dry weight is 236 pounds, and you can feel every ounce if the bike gets out of balance. Luckily, stability is fairly good thanks to the high-end 50mm Marzocchi fork and new Sachs shock, and as such you can rail through hard hits and soft loam without bother.

If you can pilot this machine like the top Italians do-by maintaining momentum and carrying speed rather than brake-sliding and dropping the clutch like an American-you'll see why the bike handles the way it does.

Contrary to what you may have first thought, the TE 310 does not simply split the difference between a 250 and a 450. If you've ridden the 250 and didn't like it, chances are this bike isn't for you. Yet if you're one of the many off-road enthusiasts who a) appreciate uniqueness; :banana: feel intimidated by large amounts of grunt but don't want to be underpowered; c) want to ride the cresting wave of innovation while not going too far out on a limb; or d) have eight grand burning a hole in your European designer jeans, this may be the dirtbike you've been waiting for.

i've rode one and i loved it, but if i were to buy the one i rode (06) i'd be paying around 5K fir an abused bike. i've seen him hit the rev limiter on a daily basis..

I thought he was riding the Hussy and taking the vid. That's what I get for assuming.

If you are short, you will not like the Husky. I'm 5' 11" and I sit tip toed on Husky's. They also carry their weight a little high which would also be an issue for a shorter person. You really ought to go throw a leg over one, I'm assuming you have not yet at this point?

BTW, I thought Looki rode a Berg 450?

Oh and as for the WR's, if you wait until you get here to buy one, they can be had for much less than 5K in mint cond or new. You could also get a lowering link if those seem to tall. And I mention this only because you'd posted that you were a little smaller......

I just though he was riding a wr, because the odometer looked exactly like one, and the front plastics were blue.. i was assuming also..

I haven't tried one out yet, because on the island here noone really buys them, there isnt a dealership until vancouver.. and a ferry trip is a pain in the arse.

I know that a wr would be wonderfully cheap in the states, as all used bikes are much better priced.

i have experiance on the wr, and really liked it, but i am eager to try a 2t or 4t husky, just to get the feeling of them.

as for lowering links, i'm not that picky.. i'll deal with the hight, it's just a little sketchy in some spots.

My currrent bike is 230-245lbs, so 236 wouldnt feel bad.

also i dont have the suspension set up on my bike, if i were to buy a newer one it would suit me much better, and i would have it set properly.