Sign in to follow this  

tuning 01 ktm 520

Do these carbs have an adjustment for the ap? I played with the timing on my 05 525 and had it running spot on with a jd kit, but was the newer version.. gen 2? anyway looking at this one there is no adjustment, just a srping attatchet from throttle linkage to ap linkage.. It has a flat spot of idile, mine had the same and when i pulled the carb of to check the ap timing it was about 1 second delay! thanks for any help :banana:

The one second delay is odd. It sounds like the AP mechanism is sluggish or something is clogged or sticking.

The main adjustment on these early carbs, called the Taffy mod I believe, consists of squeezing the AP fork prongs closer together in order to limit the duration of the fuel squirt down to about one second total. The prongs can also be bent to modify the timing of the squirt.

ill take some pics on the bike to make this all a little clearer, The delayed squirt timing was on my old ktm 525, with having good luck on tuning the timing i thought i would check the same on the 520..

if you go to KTMTALK and look up the carb stickies in the carb section you will find all you need to know about how to do these carbs, re-route the overflow, etc.