Sign in to follow this  

Can I use synthetic oil?

My dad says not to use synthetic oil because it's to slippery and the gears will slip. Is he right? Should I use synthetic over regular oil? What do you guys prefer to use?

Thanks so much

Got to watch when you ask the "oil" question on TT. It can get ugly. Like others said, you can use synthetic oil. Matter of fact IMO it is preferred. :banana:

I got confused. A local mechanic even said not to use synthetic.

Yeah no dramas mate, didn't mean to shoot you down,

Synthetic oil is more beneficial during the forst 10 seconds of start up on a cold engine as it sticks to the engine parts during the 'off' time, where as mineral oil tends to drain to the bottom.

I would guess the reason why the local mechanic told you not to use synthetic oil is because your just throwing money out the door as you have to change your oil every 3-5 hours running time anyway,

synthetic oil is double the price and for our bikes the semi-synthetic is just as good.

All my mates and i who race use semi- synthetic motul 5100 http://www.motul.com.au/product_line_up/4stroke/4stroke18.html Its cheap and better on our engines as we change every 3 hours

Hope that helps mate

Yeah no dramas mate, didn't mean to shoot you down,

Synthetic oil is more beneficial during the forst 10 seconds of start up on a cold engine as it sticks to the engine parts during the 'off' time, where as mineral oil tends to drain to the bottom.

I would guess the reason why the local mechanic told you not to use synthetic oil is because your just throwing money out the door as you have to change your oil every 3-5 hours running time anyway,

synthetic oil is double the price and for our bikes the semi-synthetic is just as good.

All my mates and i who race use semi- synthetic motul 5100 http://www.motul.com.au/product_line_up/4stroke/4stroke18.html Its cheap and better on our engines as we change every 3 hours

Hope that helps mate

thnx...

Motul's one of the best, all I've ever used in my rmz250, same with the previous owner, 120 hours and no mechanical problems, it's also what they reccomend in the manual to.

Its funny with oil on here...I think I may be the only one that actually just uses the suzuki brand 4-stroke oil...lol

haha, no I use it too. I just want to change to synthetic or semi semthetic to increase engine life. But the Suzuki oil has been good.