Sign in to follow this  

California Is Georgetown open yet?

I know they close if it has rained withon 48 hours, but I'm just wondering about the snow level. Is it rideable?

Yes, it is rideable. there's lots of puddles but I don't think there's any snow on the lower part.

can anyone else confirm this?

I rode there on 3/1 and there were deep puddles, no snow, and also lots of tree down fall.

For the most up to date information call the Georgetown Ranger Station at 530-333-4312.

GT almost never has any snow unless a storm came through in the past few days. It ALWAYS has puddles until like.. july. Just call the station.

rain on this Friday then a warming trend. Spring is coming!

from looking at the website it says some of the park is closed through may 01. having never been there, and looking for the good single tracks i've heard so much about, are those single tracks gonna be open or closed?

I was up on Slate Mt. Lookout yesterday and there's only a dusting of snow there. Looking out on the trail system, I didn't see any snow on the ground.

A call to G town ranger station tonight confirmed that it (as well as Forest Hill) is closed in anticipation of the storm.

• Like 1

Haha. What a joke. They close in anticipation of bad weather now.

Anyway, the are that is closed through May is the Southern Section that only contains like 3-4 trails and is closed most of the year for deer migration. There are still tons of trails to ride there and should not affect your decision to go there at all.

A call to G town ranger station tonight confirmed that it (as well as Forest Hill) is closed in anticipation of the storm.

Ya see....

Now this guy is just so full of :moon:he's GOT to hurt. Why would you post up something like this, (a troll perhaps?!?) GT is NOT shut down in anticipation of the storm :lol:. While it is closed to riding, it's because there has not been the legal 48 hour drying out period. Not because of an approaching storm. You do more damage, firing up folks over your :banana: posts, than the greenies do. So do us all a favor and wipe that :smirk:from off your lips and don't post here ever again.:banana:

Edited by skipro3
Toned it down a bit so as to not make anyone cry....

^^^^^^

Man that was a bit harsh. I'm guessing you guys have some history?...or maybe you posted before your first cup of coffee?

dang.

Edited by NorCal_Tom
holychit.
  • Like 1

I don't really disagree with SkiPro3, but the GT Rangers do play pretty loose with their rain gauge data. One recent example was a couple of weeks ago on a Friday I called to ask about the trail status and them telling me that they had rain that morning and the day before, so the trail system would remain closed at least into Sunday. Of course they sure couldn't explain how there had been no measurable precipitation at the nearby Bald Mountain weather station in more than 72 hours (and it reports to the 1/100th of an inch). Of course their gauge is not viewable by the public, and there are no records other than their own observations. Pretty easy to say there was rain in the gauge if no one else can verify. :banana:

Right now the Bald Mountain station reports that there was about 1/2" of rain on Wednesday afternoon (3/10), and a couple of 10ths on Tuesday afternoon (3/9), but you have to go back to 2/26 - 2/27 to get to the last rain event that would have triggered a closure. Now it has rained on many of the days since then, but I'm pretty sure there has been at least one 48 hour period since then that should have opened the place back up. :lol:

Maybe not according to their gauge though, and although I understand the concepts of micro-climates and know that their gauge will not always agree with another one a short distance away, perhaps they could move it away from the sprinklers. :banana:

the thing is with the GT edict is that part about what constitutes a drying out period. Just because it isn't raining, doesn't start the count-down clock. If it's overcast, foggy and cold, it isn't drying out. It will drain, but that's not the conditions or reason for the waiting period.

And yes, it was before I had my cup-a-joe. Not that it matters. People need to be a little more responsible when it comes to bashing. He started it and I hope I finished it. No hard feelings or past bad blood far as I know; I'm just a cranky old man who hasn't ridden in a while...

But, on that note, I'm heading to Oregon for the weekend of April 16, 17, 18, 19 for a ride. If I promised anyone a free ride up there in the past, then here ya go!

****EDIT****

I went back and edited it, toned 'er down a little. I don't want to be the reason for someone's tears...

No hard feelings or past bad blood far as I know; I'm just a cranky old man who hasn't ridden in a while... for a ride. go!

I geuss the powder has been bad too?

Less is More.

Don't ever forget who you're talking to.

Remember, this is the INTERNET. :banana:

38441_7dtr2scy8f_l.jpg

• Like 1

Less is More.

Don't ever forget who you're talking to.

Remember, this is the INTERNET. :banana:

It's not that I would forget who I'm talking to, it's that I just don't care how it comes out of my mouth any more.

So, ya gonna make it to Oregon this trip???:lol:

Bald Mountain weather station reports 0.80" for this storm so far and the weather report for Georgetown has more rain tonight, and maybe some snow.

Ride on

Brewster

^^^^^^

Man that was a bit harsh. I'm guessing you guys have some history?...or maybe you posted before your first cup of coffee?

dang.

That was a bit classy wasn't it?

OK - For the record, yes - my facts were not straight. I was given some info by a friend that said he called Gtown and was deciphered WRONGLY BY ME..lesson learned, Skipro - as we were searching a place to ride yesterday.

I did run across this:

Foresthill — The Forest Service will be restricting motorized use due to wet weather and trail conditions, particularly in terms of soil saturation, on the OHV trails and roads in the Sugar Pine area of Foresthill on the American River Ranger District of the Tahoe National Forest. This closure goes into effect on January 16, 2010 and will remain in place until conditions dry sufficiently to protect all resources when motorized use resumes.

The OHV trail system continues to see increased use throughout the year, and particularly during times when the trails and roads are most susceptible to sustained damage. Motorized use on trail and roads that have become completely saturated is causing surfaces to become rutted, leading to erosion and sedimentation issues. Additionally, because use during wet conditions has increased, the compacted trail surface is compromised, leading to more soil mobility. The wetter the surfaces during motorized wheeled use, the fewer options there are for mitigating the problems; impacts can rarely be dealt with during wet conditions.

District Ranger Chris Fischer states, "I recognize this is a disappointment to OHV enthusiasts and hope they will understand the need to have a sustainable, safe trail system and to protect the resources within the system’s area. With the increase in our trail maintenance, stream crossing improvements and considerable volunteer efforts this past year, I am optimistic that trail system will quickly open when dry conditions persist. I would also like to thank those many individuals and organizations that have worked on the trails over the years."/p>

The most up to date information can be found on the Tahoe National Forest web page at http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/.

Additional information concerning this closure is available by contacting the district office or Mo Tebbe by telephone at (530) 478-6254 or by email at mtebbe@fs.fed.us.

They may be open in April? Same forest regs as Pi Pi, their reg states they are officially closed until 4/1 but they didn't open until 4/15 last year I rode there on 4/17...epic day. I suspect later this year due to snow depths...

Fire away everyone..

Foresthill is not under the same seasonal closure regulations as the Eldorado National Forest (Pi Pi). Foresthill is in the Tahoe National Forest, and the closures there the last couple of years have been started whenever they decided the soil was too saturated for motorized use to continue, and went on until they decided things had dried out enough, usually around Memorial Day Weekend. The TNF does not yet have a calendar based closure policy like the ENF, although they are working towards that end, so they just make it up as they go.

Georgetown on the other hand has its own policy, separate from the rest of the ENF, so it is usually the only place around here that is at least open on occasion during the winter months. That is one of the reasons for so much frustration when they keep it closed with questionable rain gauge data. They have a very specific policy, and it is rain/precipitation based, and is not supposed to be subjective. The "Well its still damp so it hasn't really dried out" concept is not supposed to be allowed, just as they won't say "Well it was only .01" of rain in the last 48 hours, so let's open it up anyway".