Which Ti intake valves are better/more reliable??

Having some issues with stock Ti valves on my KX at the moment and was wondering if it is really worth while paying the extra cash for aftermarket Ti valves??

Like Exceyldene, Delwest or PRO-X, Faction etc.

Looking to here from guys/engine builders who have real experience with Ti valves with decent amount of hours on them, like 50 hours+ etc. Not 20!

Some of these aftermarket valves are atleast 2-3 times the price of stock valves so im not keen on putting them in unless im genuinely going to get a better, stronger more reliable longer lasting valve.

I got 240 hours out of my WR valves before they pulled up and i have heard KTM valves are pretty good to. My L/H intake valve on my KX is moving significantly after just 19 hours :banana:

So if these aftermarket valves are really better, which ones??

Thanks

if you really want valves that have less maintenance is their a reason you want titanium because steel are much more reliable so I've heard

i've read in eric gorrs book that kibblewhite make good valves

I've used the Xceldyne valves in quite a few engines. What I have found is if the owner does proper maintenance and keeps the air filter clean, oil changed, and doesn't constantly ride on the rev limiter the Xceldyne valves will last roughly twice as long as the stockers if not more. In my opinion the worst case scenario is you will break even in the long run and might even end up saving a little money. Kind of a pay now or pay later type deal.

Now, if you're one of those who doesn't keep the air filter clean, the oil changed, and rides on the rev limiter all the time just buy the cheapest parts you can find since nothing is going to hold up to your abuse anyway.

Just because someone buys stainless doesnt mean that they dont take care of thier bikes. Performance wise i couldnt even notice a difference at all when i went from Ti to stainless valves in my bike. I mean literally i couldnt feel anything at all

First question should be, how often are you cleaning the air filter? If it's not every ride then that's my first concern, no matter what Ti valve you use.

The life of a Ti valve depends on the strength and thickness of the coating. Some are 2 piece (stock) some are 1 piece ( pro circuit). You pay out of the wazoo for the 1 piece valves because they are machined out of a big giant piece of wasted Ti in the end, where as the 2 piece valves are more economical, and in the end they twist the stem against the valve face portion and are friction welded.

If you want your valves to last longer, you could get them coated with something harder. DLC coating comes to mind.

Or you could switch to stainless, but that requires stiffer springs to handle the heavier valves, and if your sensitive, you will notice the engine act more sluggish.

if you really want valves that have less maintenance is their a reason you want titanium because steel are much more reliable so I've heard

Want to stick with Ti to keep the fast reving nature of the 250F. Wouldnt have a problem sticking stainless in a 450.

I've used the Xceldyne valves in quite a few engines. What I have found is if the owner does proper maintenance and keeps the air filter clean, oil changed, and doesn't constantly ride on the rev limiter the Xceldyne valves will last roughly twice as long as the stockers if not more. In my opinion the worst case scenario is you will break even in the long run and might even end up saving a little money. Kind of a pay now or pay later type deal.

Now, if you're one of those who doesn't keep the air filter clean, the oil changed, and rides on the rev limiter all the time just buy the cheapest parts you can find since nothing is going to hold up to your abuse anyway.

Thanks for the info. Yeah its a hard thing to add up, can get 3 stockers for the price of 1 pro-circuit (Del west) from the US. And i'm on top of my oil changes/filter maintenance etc, got 240 hours out of my yammi valves last year so think my maintenance practices are pretty good.

Who is doing the work on your head assuming this is not the set of valves that came in the head? that seems extremely low hours for valves lasting even if they are Ti.

Yes it is the set that came in the bike from new.

First question should be, how often are you cleaning the air filter? If it's not every ride then that's my first concern, no matter what Ti valve you use.

The life of a Ti valve depends on the strength and thickness of the coating. Some are 2 piece (stock) some are 1 piece ( pro circuit). You pay out of the wazoo for the 1 piece valves because they are machined out of a big giant piece of wasted Ti in the end, where as the 2 piece valves are more economical, and in the end they twist the stem against the valve face portion and are friction welded.

If you want your valves to last longer, you could get them coated with something harder. DLC coating comes to mind.

Or you could switch to stainless, but that requires stiffer springs to handle the heavier valves, and if your sensitive, you will notice the engine act more sluggish.

I clean my filter every ride and use filter skins aswell.

I like to use oem Ti valves. I just did the head in my 07 kx250f. The valves were the factory valves with about 120 hours on them. I never had to shim a valve and when I pulled it apart the valves looked mint. I hate to say it but if you had less than 20 hrs on them and the left intake valve is moving it probly should have been serv. better. Or you have a defect, but that can happen with any valve hi or low dollar. I do agree the Ti valve in the 250 is the better choice. If you trail ride only go with steel. You may not see a perf. diff with steel but your valve seats will thank you for staying with TI.

• 4 weeks later...

My Dealer just informed me that Del West is now making O.E.M. replacement Valves for Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki, 250 and 450's they have started a new division called Del West Moto for us Dirt Bike Riders, and the prices are at the O.E.M. level, they can be ordered by your Dealer through Parts Unlimited.

This is a no brainer Del West for an O.E.M. price! wow!!