Sign in to follow this  

Investing money in 2007 Kx250f.

Is it worth it? The bike is already like three years old. I like to get mods for my bike and make it better and its just part of the sport for me. i like cleaning it and getting parts for it and working on it. Is it dumb to mod it out when I could be saving for a newer bike? Is there such a big difference that I should be saving for an 09 or newer bike and it will make me more competitive?

Im hoping that the 2007 250f will be a great bike for me to race for many years to come and still be competitive. Like I want to try and make the Mammoth Junior class in 2 years. Would I be dumb to show up with an 07?

Right now I am really wanting to get 22mm offset clamps and an exhaust or wheelset. Am I not thinking right?

I just want to see some of the others peoples thoughts. Cause now when I go to the track I am seeing alot of newer bikes, is that just for the reason that everyone wants them or is it really going to make you that much faster and more competitve?

Sorry if this is a dumb thread but I am really wondering.

If your bike is in great shape and you want to do mods to it....great....just remember...when it comes time to sell it....all of the money that you put into it....you never get it back out. I am gettin ready to put some stuff on my 07..wheels, new plastic and graphics, 22mm clamps, CV4 hoses and a few other things....But I know I will never get all the money back out of it.......but it makes me happy.......and that means alot.....

how many hours on bike? once you break 100 hours i would not start spending money on mods you will never get it back like b4fun said. after 100 hours everything is getting worn clutch basket,gears bearings get the point it becomes a matter of time, and sometimes it is cheaper to get a new bike. after 2 years i get ride of mine. when you get a new bike you get everything new from tires to chains sprokets, cables ect. it is worth the money to get new in IMO.

how many hours on bike? once you break 100 hours i would not start spending money on mods you will never get it back like b4fun said. after 100 hours everything is getting worn clutch basket,gears bearings get the point it becomes a matter of time, and sometimes it is cheaper to get a new bike. after 2 years i get ride of mine. when you get a new bike you get everything new from tires to chains sprokets, cables ect. it is worth the money to get new in IMO.

Not sure i actually just got around putting an hour meter on it. (:banana:. But It just got a full rebuild.

well you can estimate how many hours. but if it was just rebuilt i would keep it for 1 more year and not put to much money iinto it so you can save for a new one next year. the mods you want, wheelset not worthit save that money, pipe if you need a new one than yes if not dont waste money. triple clamps good investment plus you take them of when you sell the bike an put them on your new one they will fit the 2010.

well you can estimate how many hours. but if it was just rebuilt i would keep it for 1 more year and not put to much money iinto it so you can save for a new one next year. the mods you want, wheelset not worthit save that money, pipe if you need a new one than yes if not dont waste money. triple clamps good investment plus you take them of when you sell the bike an put them on your new one they will fit the 2010.

Good point...yeah maybe I should get mods that are universal, like triple clamps, steering damper, asv levers, etc..Cause Ive been really wanting to get the 22mm with a damper up front I think that would help alot. Then when I get my new kawi I can have that stuff go onto it.

for mx you do not need a damper, if you get any shake yo can fix it with set up.

New bikes are nice.If you can pay cash. Moding your bike a bit at a time is better than a payment anyday. Up to a point I supose. If you just rebuilt it is good for awhile to come. Wheels can go to the next KXF if that's what you get.

I'd wait and see where efi goes in a couple of years. It'll cost you 3k more for a bike by then though.

Don't forget.................

True speed is in the rider.

I try to limit my add-on parts to stuff I can put on the next bike.

Like my Scotts damper, Magura clutch, Fatbar with alu throttle tube and engine plugs and so on... They all fit on next years model... I´ve had these parts for 3 full seasons now...

Then the handlebar and grips and cable (and more things) are brand new so the bike looks good when selling it.

If you like your current one and its not beat up spend a few bucks on it. I would rather put a few bucks into my bike than buy a new one. I guess I dont worry too much about lost money. If that were the case I would not be riding. Lets face it dirtbikes are a poor investment. Look at it this way if you put $1000 into your old bike you can never get it back. If you spend $6000 grand on a new one a year later you be be where you are now, and you wont get that back either.

many thoughts and ideas must be considered when trying to decide to buy a new bike or mod out your existing machine...

1. contignency: we kawi riders are blessed with an awesome contignency system. if you're running at the top of your class, it would be a very good idea to enroll in the contignency system, but this is only available to those owning a bike no more than 2 years old.

2. If your bike is in good condition and easy to maintain, keep it. if alot of things are starting to wear and break down on you, it might be time to consider retiring the ol' war horse and move on... :banana:

3. when it comes to modding your bike, you MUST ask yourself: "what is wrong with this bike?". if you love how it handles, runs, etc, then dont touch a thing on it; but if u find something not to your standards or un-satisfactory, look into mods that will help that problem.

And no it wont be embarrasing to show up on an '07 to a pro-am. just because all those pretty boy rich kids and sponsored riders have brand new bikes, doesnt mean you have to have one.

Is it worth it? The bike is already like three years old. I like to get mods for my bike and make it better and its just part of the sport for me. i like cleaning it and getting parts for it and working on it. Is it dumb to mod it out when I could be saving for a newer bike? Is there such a big difference that I should be saving for an 09 or newer bike and it will make me more competitive?

Im hoping that the 2007 250f will be a great bike for me to race for many years to come and still be competitive. Like I want to try and make the Mammoth Junior class in 2 years. Would I be dumb to show up with an 07?

Right now I am really wanting to get 22mm offset clamps and an exhaust or wheelset. Am I not thinking right?

I just want to see some of the others peoples thoughts. Cause now when I go to the track I am seeing alot of newer bikes, is that just for the reason that everyone wants them or is it really going to make you that much faster and more competitve?

Sorry if this is a dumb thread but I am really wondering.

many thoughts and ideas must be considered when trying to decide to buy a new bike or mod out your existing machine...

1. contignency: we kawi riders are blessed with an awesome contignency system. if you're running at the top of your class, it would be a very good idea to enroll in the contignency system, but this is only available to those owning a bike no more than 2 years old.

2. If your bike is in good condition and easy to maintain, keep it. if alot of things are starting to wear and break down on you, it might be time to consider retiring the ol' war horse and move on... :banana:

3. when it comes to modding your bike, you MUST ask yourself: "what is wrong with this bike?". if you love how it handles, runs, etc, then dont touch a thing on it; but if u find something not to your standards or un-satisfactory, look into mods that will help that problem.

And no it wont be embarrasing to show up on an '07 to a pro-am. just because all those pretty boy rich kids and sponsored riders have brand new bikes, doesnt mean you have to have one.

+1. the only mods I ever pay retail for is suspension work and maybe porting. If I find an exhaust for a good deal on ebay then I'll buy it otherwise I won't get an exhaust. same with clamps or any other bling part. So personally I would just save your money and buy a new bike when your current one starts to break a lot. theres nothing wrong with racing an 07 right now. 2 years from now id be wanting somthing newer personally.

remember it generally cost more to make an older bike competitive.