Sign in to follow this  

KTM 520 cam updates....

Wondering what year cam bearings i need to use for update? i already know i need the cam sprocket from a 03 or newer, also will that bolt right on to my 01 cam? how critical is the lower cam chain guide update?

All the RFS cam bearings are the same, i.e. updated after '01 to sealed bearings. The newer cam sprocket will bolt right up.

oh ok I see. So if he bearings are sealed then i know they are updated? How do i tell if the cam sprocket is updated? And why is the new better?

oh ok I see. So if he bearings are sealed then i know they are updated? How do i tell if the cam sprocket is updated? And why is the new better?

The old cam gear used a bolt and nylock nut as a stop for the auto decom mechanisim. the newer ones have no bolt/nut the stop is part of the gear. There have been many motors that the bolt has come loose. If it does the damage can cost $1000 or more. The securing guide has a screen on it that covers the oil passage into the crank just incase anything goes south in the topend it keeps it from getting into the crank area (most of the time anyway)

I would check for the updates just to be sure and update anything needed. At most it will cost you $100 and some time if you do it yourself or $250 or so if you have a shop do it.

You'll need updated

cam gear

cam bearings

cam link

'03+ water pump assembly

'03+ securing giude

ok do u know if they are still selling the 01 water pump assembly or did they update it to 03. Cuz i just ordered the 01 assembly. didn't know there needs to be an update for that.