I'm frustrated and don't know what else to do about the stupid knocking sound!

2007 S model.

Absolutely no engine mods

14897 miles. 492 hours on the engine.

MCCT and new cam chain recently.

Stock exhaust.

Valves have been shimmed twice and both time were on the tight side and were adjusted to the loose side. First time was at 9500 miles only a .10 adjustment. Second time after new cam chain at 14897 was a .15 adjustment. Right now the exhaust sits at .28 and the intake is at .17. MCCT and cam chain installed at 14897. Reason is not up for discusion and I don't want to hear crap about not having the MCCT before. It was a big warranty issue with my dealer and I did not know any better. (No, I am not a moron, but did not make the right decision about the MCCT before. I accept my ignorance and appreciate only helpful info at this point. Thank you.

All the locktite fixes have been done.

Water pump fix has been done.

I have not only read the FAQ but damn near have it memorized.

New plug.

Fresh oil.

No junk in pick up screen.

No metal shavings ever except the minor amount after very first oil change.

Stock Carb.

Auto Decomp Removed

Took bike to dealer and mech said that it sounded like cam chain slap. Ordered new cam chain. Installed along with MCCT per exact instructions.

I may be ignorant but used to build explosives in the military and have done everything to my bike myself since I have owned it. I think I can do this confidently.

There is still a very predominant ticking sound. I have gone through the whole damn engine besides splitting the cases and everything is in spec.

I am at the point where I am going to pull the engine and wait the half a year it will take me to save the money and have Eddie fix it. Or I will part out, sell it and buy a used RM 250 or something. Please help me because I love my DRZ and don't want to give up on it.

I am so desperate for help and wish there was a way to fix. It is not as bad as I am making it sound. The bike runs super strong like always and does not feel like there is anything wrong but this sound started about 500 miles ago toward the end of a desert trip. I got it home and changed the oil and that made it a little quieter. I have also removed the auto decomp as I thought that might be the noise.

Thank you for reading this and sorry it is so long. I am really desperate as I do not want to do any damage to the motor by riding it any more. Riding is my life and this is my only bike.

Is there a possibility that a worn cam chain guide on the CCT side is worn enough that it could cause a ticking sound?

Edited by Rock Monster

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my bike makes a similar sound, also has a weird rattle from the cam chain and sounds like gravel in the engine, after reading these forums I thought it was normal lol.

does it sound like this, this is my bike, annyoing engine sounds are more noticable toawrds the end of the video.

what it sounds like is a normal drz.they all sound like a sewing maching.i fixed mine by putting on a pipe that was louder than the tick.the ticking is from the cams hitting the buckets.i dont know if you have listened to another drz but i would try it to make sure

i suggest you listen to as many DRZ's as you can , just to get an idea of the mechanical noise that these motors make .

you have done everything possible and done it right !

i believe you are frustrated that you cant get rid of something that you cant get rid of .[respectfully]

Edited by chooken

I think my bike makes a similar sound, also has a weird rattle from the cam chain and sounds like gravel in the engine, after reading these forums I thought it was normal lol.

does it sound like this, this is my bike, annyoing engine sounds are more noticable toawrds the end of the video.

Those "annoying engine sounds" sound pretty normal to me! Just get used to it, the DRZ just makes a ton of ruckus.

Rock Monster, It might be time to take it to a trusted dealer's service dept. for a second opinion. A mechanic who works on DRZ's regularly will be able to tell you if you have anything to worry about. I understand your concern though, as I've seen some of your threads about your long distance offroad rides.

Rock Monster, It might be time to take it to a trusted dealer's service dept. for a second opinion. A mechanic who works on DRZ's regularly will be able to tell you if you have anything to worry about.

Road trip to Denver. :banana:

Do a search about the cam shaft mounted automatic decompressor, this has caused some ticking noises when it's not all good. HTH :banana:

It might also be time for a valve job and the most common cause for valve wear is dirt ingestion. My old S went 24+k before sloppy crank bearing brought it down, valves never needed adjustment the whole time, mostly street riding with 10-15% dirt time. A clean and fresh air filter is essential for dirt riding cause that's where the dirt comes from that wears your valves down. Good Luck!

This sound just started about 500 miles ago. It has never been this noisy before. I do understand the whole aspect that the DRZ is a noisy motor, but if there is a new sound that just started and is louder than normal, wouldn't that mean that it is making excessive noise. I could put a vid clip up but that is really going to do no one any good as every camera is different and will produce different sounds. I will go to the dealer one more time to see if he can help me out. If not, oh well back to step one.

Do a search about the cam shaft mounted automatic decompressor, this has caused some ticking noises when it's not all good. HTH :banana:

It might also be time for a valve job and the most common cause for valve wear is dirt ingestion. My old S went 24+k before sloppy crank bearing brought it down, valves never needed adjustment the whole time, mostly street riding with 10-15% dirt time. A clean and fresh air filter is essential for dirt riding cause that's where the dirt comes from that wears your valves down. Good Luck!

I am very thorough about my maintenance and keep 4 clean filter ready to go at all times in 1 gallon ziplock bags.

Could be piston slap ,and a lot of other issues.

Is the sound constant , does it increase/decrease with rpm's.?

Have you tried to use a screwdriver as a hearing aid to sort out where the sound originates from ?

checked the nut on the counter balancer / done the locktite fixes ?

After I took my bike out for a little rip i was paying attention to the louder engine (im used to 4 cylinder bikes) and I figured i rode too hard and screwed something up. But my bike sounds the exact same as yours minus the mrd/ssw. Thanks goodness. What loud engines these bikes have.

Just for the heck of it, check to see if the magneto/counter-balance nut is tight. A friend had a wierd confounding sound in his YZ, and after checking everything, was ready to sell it. He just happened to check, as it turns out, and the nut on the balencer was loose. Tightened it up to factory spec, and the knocking/clicking was cured. He still has the bike. Couldn't hurt to check this.

Brian650R