Sign in to follow this  

New bike for MX/Trails/CrossCountry. Strokes dilemma...

Hi there, guys,

I've been riding my current CRF450R 2008 for a season (last year). Do like it overall. But I'm stressed with future top-end rebuilding/valve seats cutting/valves changing etc. :banana:

Well, it's natural when you ride mx 4stroker. :lol: But I'm afraid everytime I touch the rpm redline... :banana:

So I'm gonna sell my bike after this season...

I ride MX/CC/Enduro (40%/40%/20%).

The main dilemma is 2t vs 4t...

I made some calculations and came to conclusion that maintenance cost + gas/oil expenses would be fairly the same. Maybe 4t takes a bit more funds (not critical). The ONLY bad thing for 2strokers is GAS/OIL consumption and MPG. E.g. on the stock YZ250 I can hardly make 30 MPG as I do on my CRF450R.

So my candidates:

1) CRF450R '10

2) YZ250 '08-10 + Clarke tank, Flywheel Weight

There are no dealers near my area at all, so service and so on is not important at all. So no KTM as an option. :banana:)

Well, guys, I'm in two minds...

Reasonable suggestions would be highly appreciated. :banana:

Te YZ, no doubt out of your picks. Then you will no longer have anything to fear and enjoy the sport more.

I would also look into the KTM XC series.

Te YZ, no doubt out of your picks. Then you will no longer have anything to fear and enjoy the sport more.

I would also look into the KTM XC series.

+1 for YZ250 :banana:

Checked out the specs of KTM XC250 and XC300...well, you make me change my mind about KTMs... :lol: Bigger stock tank, brembo brakes, hydraulic clutch...VERY nice options...

I stay away from KTM because of parts prices...I should check it out again...

in your case go yz 250 for sure

but if you dont like youre crf valves yamaha make much more reliable valves etc

what about a wr 450 or yz 450

but if you want to cut out valves all together and ditch fourstrokes the yz 250 will be great

i've heard with KTM that their actual purchase of the bike may be more expensive but there parts are as cheap or cheaper than japanese bikes

a near new or new bike should give you much trouble anyway

in your case go yz 250 for sure

+2 for YZ250 :banana:

but if you dont like youre crf valves yamaha make much more reliable valves etc

what about a wr 450 or yz 450

:lol: I'm more than satisfied with CRF450R as 4stroker. It's more like 4t vs 2t comparison.

i've heard with KTM that their actual purchase of the bike may be more expensive but there parts are as cheap or cheaper than japanese bikes

WRONG! :banana: I've just checked the prices...KTM 300 XC piston kit and crankshaft repair kit cost WAY more than Yamaha YZ250 ones.

well its just what I've read on thumpertalk

some parts may be cheaper while others more expensive

a ktm 300 should go much farther without a top end than a yz 250 anyway

the 300 is probably better suited to trails and stuff than a yz 250 out of the box

plus you get electric start and stuff

well its just what I've read on thumpertalk

some parts may be cheaper while others more expensive

a ktm 300 should go much farther without a top end than a yz 250 anyway

the 300 is probably better suited to trails and stuff than a yz 250 out of the box

plus you get electric start and stuff

Yea, you're right. (e)XC300 is a real deal right from the box with all that useful stuff (tank, clutch, brakes...).

And also I made a search and found cheaper supplier of parts. And common parts just a bit more expensive.

But the last and not the least is to find people who sells KTMs near me. It's not as easy as it can be in states or Europe. :banana: We have only jap big 4 here. KTM stays a way exclusive bike the place i live at. :lol:

Well, it needs some research... :banana:)

yz250 for sure, out of those two choices you gave.

out of curiosity, what do you go to the dealer for? My dealers do not stock anything, so it makes no difference what brand bike I own, everything has to be ordered.

yz250 for sure, out of those two choices you gave.

out of curiosity, what do you go to the dealer for? My dealers do not stock anything, so it makes no difference what brand bike I own, everything has to be ordered.

Why not CRF450R? Just curious about you reasons... :banana:

Why not CRF450R? Just curious about you reasons... :banana:

weight, both in absolute terms, and in how the 450 feels when you ride and turn. Not to mention the increase in complexity and maint costs

weight, both in absolute terms, and in how the 450 feels when you ride and turn. Not to mention the increase in complexity and maint costs

Why not KTM (E)XC300? It looks so good. :banana:

Why not KTM (E)XC300? It looks so good. :banana:

OP said he does not want a ktm

OP said he does not want a ktm

:banana: Well, he might be wrong.

Why not (E)XC300 vs tuned YZ250?

KTM 300. Who cares if there's no dealerships?...

Buy a manual. Fix it yourself. Plus it's a 2 stroke which are ridiculously easy to rebuild anyways.

Never had to refill the tank on a full day of riding the KTM 300. It also runs more like a 4t. You can lug the engine around without worrying about fouling the plugs and it has torque to spare.

KTM 300. Who cares if there's no dealerships?...

Buy a manual. Fix it yourself. Plus it's a 2 stroke which are ridiculously easy to rebuild anyways.

Never had to refill the tank on a full day of riding the KTM 300. It also runs more like a 4t. You can lug the engine around without worrying about fouling the plugs and it has torque to spare.

Yeah, 300 looks like the best possible option...

Any other ideas? :banana:

Nice from the RMZRider151.

So because he likes his bike he can't recommend it?

So because he likes his bike he can't recommend it?

Ofcourse, he can. :banana:

At least, he could tell why RMX450Z. Otherwise it's just another doubtful opinion. It's like I'd say "Honda - the best! period".