Sign in to follow this  

XR250 running lean

Helping my friend with a 2001 XR250 thats won't start without the choke even after its warmed up. The idle is choppy and it races quite a bit. I put my hand over the air intake to block airflow and instead of it dying out it started racing. There's no appearant air leaks and the bikes not that old where I would suspect crank seals. Any ideas?

Remove the carb and clean it out really good, run a thin wire through all the of orifices, and check them with a bright light. Check your air box and manifold boots, and make sure they are not cracked and are sealing right. Did you remove the maniflod at all? If you did, the o-ring on it might be shot. What condition is you air filter in? Is it dirty?

When you blocked the air intake, did you just cover the opening in the air box under the seat, or did you cover the carb?

What is your jetting on the bike, and what elevation are you at? What is you idle speed set at? Do you have fresh gas?

P.S. Sorry about all the questions. Im just going through a mental checklist I use when Im having problems on my bike.

I just covered the air inlet on top of the air box, tonight Im gonna go through his carb real good and his air filter. I let you know after that.

Nope valve adjustment is within specs, I suspect the rings have seen better days judging by how dirty the air filter and intake were.

Nope valve adjustment is within specs, I suspect the rings have seen better days judging by how dirty the air filter and intake were.

I wouldn't sell an XR short on durability. If the compression is still good and it doesn't smoke after it warms up... I'd say.:banana::ride::lol: