Sign in to follow this  

Oil/Gas Mixture in 4-Strokes

Ive just recently bought a 4-stroke (yz450f) and ive heard people say that it is good to add alittle 2-stroke oil in your gas. Im just woundering if that is a good thing to do or a bad thing to do.

Ive just recently bought a 4-stroke (yz450f) and ive heard people say that it is good to add alittle 2-stroke oil in your gas. Im just woundering if that is a good thing to do or a bad thing to do.

:banana::lol::bonk:

What would the point of that be? Im not a Yamaha Tech but Im willing to guess that is not a good idea. They are not designed to run 2 stroke oil. Whoever told you that must not have been on thier A game that day.

Mothballs are the trick! Or diesel fuel, really lubricates your injectors!

Considering you are running refined oil in the first place I would tell you a little won't hurt, but it really is not needed and doesn't do much to help other than bring back the memories of having to mix gas.

I have heard this as well so I will stand up for you, haha. I have never done it personally. I change my oil so often I dont think a little 2t oil would help. Multiple chevrolet mechanics have recommend I put a little in my truck however (its a diesel).

Lucas upper cylinder lube

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=26&catid=8&loc=show

Work? Don't know. But, it reads for use in gasoline engines, I'm sure they are talking more about cars and gas car motors are 4T.

I've been use Motorex Valve Guard (lead substitute) since my KTM was new.

http://motorex.com/index.cfm?oid=1147&lang=en&webtoolDbTemp=eintragDetail&eintragId=140

Works? Don't know. Valves? No issues. Waste of a money? Maybe. But it's cheap so I figuered I've give it a shot. Maybe I should tear down my engine and compare it against a torn down engine from someone not using the product, just to be sure. :banana:

people run it in cars, like the rx8, and diesel trucks, it's not that uncommon

I have done it, it might help, but who knows, all you have to worry about if you do this is fouling a plug. well that and if you do this don't let your bike sit for a long time with this gas in the tank, obviously...

Edited by Bryan Bosch

While sugar wont destroy the engine... proven fact on "Myth Busters" lol there is no reason that anyone should add 2 stroke oil to a 4 stroke machine. It will not benefit the bike in any way. They are designed to run on fuel alone and are designed to be lubricated in a different manner and for that reason do not need any additional lubrication. Thats why the guys at Yamaha make the big bucks to design these engines, not you and I; but hey maybe Yamaha would like your idea and cut you a check for comming up with it!:banana:

I've never done it with a bike but I've run marvel mystery oil in a lawn mower (still a 4T). But that was only because it was really tired and didn't have very good compression so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

2T oil would probably have the same affect on your bike.

It will quiet down lifters on your car that are making noise. I've got a buddy who has a Mazda with a zillion miles on it. He just uses one quart of Mystery Oil in place of one quart of regular oil and it made things nice and quiet.

When I had a 1991 YZ250 2T, I always poured the old (more than 2 weeks) 2T fuel (50/50 93 Octane/Sunoco Purple w/ Yamalube 40:1) in my 1991 4.3 Astro. Got over 200K out of the Astro, no oil smoke. Kid totaled the damn thing.

Yeah you guys are true thats why they are 4-stroke for a reason. They have there own lubrication system unlike a 2-stroke. I figured i would throw it out there because i heard about it alot and im new to this so i would see what you guys would say about it.

Yeah you guys are true thats why they are 4-stroke for a reason. They have there own lubrication system unlike a 2-stroke. I figured i would throw it out there because i heard about it alot and im new to this so i would see what you guys would say about it.

nothing is cut and dry like that

rx8's are 4 stroke rotory's and people use 2 stroke oil in the gas because of all the issues that engine has

people put 2 stroke oil in 4 stroke diesel trucks to help injectors

who knows, maybe a little 2 stroke oil would help early crf250x's

One thing it will do is keep the gas from going bad.

Maybe some of you guys have noticed that the carburetors on your 2-smokes don't get clogged up nearly as much as your 4-strokes.

It is because the premix oil acts as a sort of fuel stabilizer.

http://www.klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KL%2D602%5FPint&cat=4

Back in the day, leaded gas provided upper cylinder lubrication, but with unleaded fuels that is now missing.

I run Klotz Octane Booster, not so much for any boost in octane, but more because it has an ester synthetic upper cylinder lubricant and fuel preservative.

Edited by reconranger

Some of you guys are missing the point. Think about where the fuel flows that the oil is not supposed to be. Although most fuels have some lubricating quality's a small amount of 2 stroke oil will deff. help, like 256:1. (that is 1 ounce to every two gallons) Anything in the carb. that moves and has fuel flowing around it will benefit from additional lube. Think about all the places you see carbon build up, mainly valve area, like stems and guides. How great would it be to give these places a little additional lube.

I am talking about a very small amount of additional lube but every little bit helps. I have been doing it for the last couple of years ever since I had an old top fuel guy tell me they were using it to keep the nitro from hanging the butterfly's open and also to provide additional lube to the blower wipers so they could get an entire run out of them. Do what you like but I will keep the 2 stroke in mine. LET'ER RIP!