Sign in to follow this  

DR100 Crappy Front Brake - Ideas?

Hey all, the girlfriend has been complaining lately that she doesn't feel comfortable at the track, that the bike feels like she doesn't have any control over it. As I was pushing it into the garage, I squeezed the front brake lever, and pretty much nothing happened. It barely moves, and I'm able to push the bike with the wheel turning while applying full force at the lever. I pulled everything apart, pads look ok, hub looks ok, not much gunk or rust, put it back together a little wet with brake fluid. Brakes worked till it all dried out, then sucked again. Any ideas? I dunno a whole lot about drums, hopefully you all do, thanks.

Have the drums arced. This involves having the drum turned and surfaced, then the shoes are cut to the diameter of the drum. Race Tech does it for $200.

However, it might be a better idea to either upgrade to a new DR-Z125 drum front, or have a DR-Z125L disc brake front end mounted with a 17 inch rim laced to it.

Thanks for the ideas, but it's a 200 dollar bike, and she's a new rider, so it'll be fine if I can get the brakes back to stock working condition.

Sand the crap out of the pads and drum then!

Seriously, sand until she gets arm pump

also I would be sure that that the wheel cylinder is not leaking, and bleed out the old brake fluid with new fluid.

GG, its a cable actuated system. No brake fluid required! (and DoubleJ, I assume you meant brake cleaner, not DOT brake fluid, which will have ruined your shoes.)

500, you assume right, brake cleaner in there when I re-assembled. Put new shoes in the other day, can get the front wheel to dig some dirt with the lever pulled to the bar, but still can't get a lock-up out of it. I'm assuming that's about all drums will do though when actuated by a cable, that sound about right everyone?