Sign in to follow this  

California It's Wet Out There

I want to start by apologizing to Agent2. We were supposed to do a weekend at Cal City, depending on the weather for the last couple weeks, but with rain 2 weeks ago, and the threat of it this last weekend, mixed with my PW'd Son's request to be home early Sunday, this weekend was shelved also.

Being that my last ride was way back in February (that doesn't count the day the X broke 2.2 miles into the day :banana:) I needed to be in the Dez. So, I stayed home Saturday and took care of all the F'n "Dad" chores, and 'Me n my Bro' hit the local area Sunday AM.

10 minutes into the ride I needed some shots of the green that's already starting to sprout. It's going to be a beautiful Spring. :banana:

CopperCityLoop001.jpg

CopperCityLoop002.jpg

CopperCityLoop003.jpg

Back on the bikes, another 20 minutes later, just crossing the 247, I started feeling something wet down my back. Thinking it was ice leaking from one of the ziplocks, I stopped to reseal it, and found this casualty.

CopperCityLoop004.jpg

Time for a new Hydra Pak. :lol:

CopperCityLoop005.jpg

From there we rode straight to Minneola to top the tanks. Second round of bad news is that there wasn't any Premium available. I'm thinking that it will only be 87 there from now on. :banana:

We exited with full tanks and headed North. Finally into the hills we came across this old mining type structure.

CopperCityLoop006.jpg

The view looking out.

CopperCityLoop007.jpg

We decided it was a popular shooting spot, from the looks of all the targets on the hill.

CopperCityLoop008.jpg

We knew it was time to go when the bullets started whizzing over our heads. Stupid me stopped for a safety meeting right in the middle of a shooting range.:banana: It seems there were a couple of good ol boys camped on top of the hill where the rest of the equipment was.

Full of adrenaline after hearing bullets fly by(that was a first for me:eek:) it was non stop until we came to the fence.

CopperCityLoop009.jpg

I hate fences! :banana:

CopperCityLoop010.jpg

From where we came

CopperCityLoop011.jpg

To be continued....

Edited by timoyz1
  • Like 1

No need to apologize, I am glad you got a chance to get out and ride. I went out weekend before last, conditions were epic, afternoons were warm enough to peel off the jacket.

Planning on heading back out the weekend of the 27th if you, or anyone else wants to enjoy the best time of year for desert riding.

Keep the photos coming.

• Like 3

Some sweet riding and great Pics. I love this time of year when the green starts to come out. Keep up with the pics...

• Like 1

Love the desert when it comes to life!! Great pics and report!

• Like 1

Back on the bikes, not 10 minutes later, there was this.

CopperCityLoop015.jpg

Not in too bad of shape.

CopperCityLoop013.jpg

The tags were from 2007, but there was paperwork dated 10/09, so who knows. It would be cool to find out if it was stolen.

CopperCityLoop012.jpg

Someone did scratch their name in the roof though, friggin hooligans.:banana:

CopperCityLoop017.jpg

Relieved that there was no body in the trunk, we played around in the hills for a while and came across this old mine. It was pretty remote for someone to do such a gnarly on site fab job, gas to them.:banana:

CopperCityLoop018.jpg

It was kind of creepy standing on top looking down.

CopperCityLoop019.jpg

Not too far from the mine, there was a unlocked gate in the fence, so we went through and made our way to the not so dry lakes.

CopperCityLoop020.jpg

My favorite shot of the day.:lol:

CopperCityLoop021.jpg

It's usually a quick 5 minute ride across the lakes to cross the valley, but this day it was at least an hour skirting the shore lines. Once past the lakes, it was a short ride to Inscription Canyon.

CopperCityLoop022.jpg

There were a few other people there as well.

CopperCityLoop023.jpg

Random drawing shots.

CopperCityLoop024.jpg

CopperCityLoop025.jpg

It looks like Einstein was here.:banana:

CopperCityLoop026.jpg

CopperCityLoop027.jpg

CopperCityLoop028.jpg

We left IC and decided to head for gas. On the way over the mountain, I stopped for more scenery shots.

CopperCityLoop029.jpg

Last one, I promise.

CopperCityLoop030.jpg

Once off the mountain, we stopped for a little break before the gas stop.

CopperCityLoop032.jpg

A quick blue collar tribute to Slowxr. :banana:

CopperCityLoop034.jpg

Which leaves the last 2 shots of beautiful downtown Hinkley.

CopperCityLoop036.jpg

CopperCityLoop037-1.jpg

So, all in all, it was a great day! We did 175 miles, no flats or X issues :banana:, not 1 other bike was seen, and one Ranger was spotted but he only waved at us. I do love this time of the year.

:banana::lol::banana:

Jerky and Beer! Good Snacks!

Hey Tim,

That loading bin is the Starbright Mine. It was a Tungsten mine during WWII. If you went up top, that big pit was the mine. I have some old photos of it with a structure spanning the pit.

It's not a shooting range out there, more likely people hunting for chukar/quail. That's a bad area to be in during hunting season. The E facing slopes there are prime bird territory, several springs in the area.

BTW, that mine cap actually looks like what the BLM has been putting in place out there. They are certainly heavy duty. There's another area near there where they have recently placed several of those. I don't know who they have contracted for this work, but whoever it is, is certainly taking it seriously.

You got lucky that you didn't run into MP's when you went through the gate. They were patrolling pretty heavily for a while, but I'm guessing that they have backed off now that the fence is done on the SW side of the base.

Glad you had a good ride.

Later.....

Mike

• Like 1

No need to apologize, I am glad you got a chance to get out and ride. I went out weekend before last, conditions were epic, afternoons were warm enough to peel off the jacket.

Planning on heading back out the weekend of the 27th if you, or anyone else wants to enjoy the best time of year for desert riding.

Keep the photos coming.

My Son's break is the week after Easter, so I'm going to try and do a 3 or 4 day trip then. I'd have been out more, but the POS Ford is on it's last leg, and I don't drive it for more then 10 minutes at a time.:lol: If work will find a truck by the 27th, I might be up for a day ride, I'll keep in touch. :banana:

This just isn't fair!!! Get a job! :banana:

It's the F'n job that gets in the way of the fun. :lol:

Hey Tim,

That loading bin is the Starbright Mine. It was a Tungsten mine during WWII. If you went up top, that big pit was the mine. I have some old photos of it with a structure spanning the pit.

It's not a shooting range out there, more likely people hunting for chukar/quail. That's a bad area to be in during hunting season. The E facing slopes there are prime bird territory, several springs in the area.

If you blow up the pic of the hill (damn TT resize:foul:) there was a lot of small orange targets up towards the top. Once we suited back up and rode up to the shack, the shooters had a truck backed into that shack, which looked like for the weekend, and had it all set up with their crap, setting scopes, or something. It was creepy hearing the bullet fly over our heads, and then hear the pow a second later. :banana:

BTW, that mine cap actually looks like what the BLM has been putting in place out there. They are certainly heavy duty. There's another area near there where they have recently placed several of those. I don't know who they have contracted for this work, but whoever it is, is certainly taking it seriously.

That was a lot of 3/8" metal. I'm sure that has to be a 6 figure invoice for each one of them things.

You got lucky that you didn't run into MP's when you went through the gate. They were patrolling pretty heavily for a while, but I'm guessing that they have backed off now that the fence is done on the SW side of the base.

Glad you had a good ride.

Later.....

Mike

Steve didn't want to go in either, but I figured they should have a lock on it, and there were no signs anywhere in sight. Once in, we passed a couple of open route signs too, so I would have argued if we were stopped for being in there. (Not too hard if they would have had M-16s :lol:)

When we got to the West end, the gates were all open, so there wasn't a problem getting out. I actually wasn't sure about going in because the signs don't say do not enter. All they say is you are subject to search, and don't take drawings or pictures of the area. :banana:

Thanks for rubbing in the fact that we are still getting snow up here in Frazier and I'm too chicken shit to take the motorhome out and enjoy that beautiful desert.

great pics. though ! :banana::lol:

• Like 1

Thanks for rubbing in the fact that we are still getting snow up here in Frazier and I'm too chicken shit to take the motorhome out and enjoy that beautiful desert.

great pics. though ! :banana::banana:

Your the one that moved up there..:banana: Put some all terrains on that thing and smash the throttle....:lol:

It's the F'n job that gets in the way of the fun. :lol:

Wait a minute, my wife says I have to find a job before I can go riding again.:banana: OK, flame on for that one!