Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Rockslide

Anybody drive to/from Moab/GJ or other points west since Sunday night? If so, please report how long the detour took.

Thanks.

http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=70831406001#/News/Rockslide+update/49906872001/50183015001/70891229001

The detour Cdot is suggesting is silverthorn to steamboat to Craig to Rifle. I think they said it's around 120-150 miles.

I drive that rout at least to craig for elk hunting every year and it's a really good highway just a long way around.

Glad to hear its a good road the whole way, 150 miles of 2 lane could be 2 1/2-3 hours though...and thats without traffic.

Hopefully most trucks will go via 80 or 40 otherwise any grades will be agonizingly slow.

Rabbit ears pass is really the only steep grade you have to go up and down. It's not that bad going west but going east it's pretty steep but it opens up to two lanes and you can pass well.

http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=70831406001#/News/Rockslide+update/49906872001/50183015001/70891229001

The detour Cdot is suggesting is silverthorn to steamboat to Craig to Rifle. I think they said it's around 120-150 miles.

I drive that rout at least to craig for elk hunting every year and it's a really good highway just a long way around.

You could even catch 40 out of Empire and take it all the way to Craig, might be a little faster than going to Silverthorn??

You could even catch 40 out of Empire and take it all the way to Craig, might be a little faster than going to Silverthorn??

It's about 30-45 min longer to take 40 over bertoud pass to Craig.

What would the south route be like in comparison? Like out 285 to 50 all the way to Montrose? I have never been on 285 past Pine Junction- towing a large 5th wheel. What's the highway like there?

What would the south route be like in comparison? Like out 285 to 50 all the way to Montrose? I have never been on 285 past Pine Junction- towing a large 5th wheel. What's the highway like there?

Well Monarch Pass was closed yesterday, but it's a nice scenic route that will add 2-3 hours for you Denver area folk. The news said the northern detour is 200 miles. I've done the 50 route several times when 70 was closed before. It happens all the time every spring.

I heard on the radio and just read a report that the detour is taking truckers an extra 6 hours!!! Thats what I was afraid of!!

I'm going to bet they have eastbound open to 2 way traffic for sure by April and that it will remain that way until sometime this summer. That'll be the best route once its open. I'm heading that way 3/20 though....

I remember the 2004 rockfall and it took a couple months to get everything back open....but the holes in the road weren't as big as this time.

Hwy 50 is a typical mountain pass...twisty up...twisty down. Isn't bad if it isn't snowing but you'll be slow with a hauler and in some of the twisty stuff around Blue Mesa and elsewhere. Problem with 50 is it doesn't go all the way through, so you'd have to either go all the way back north to 70 or once I came through Ridgeway, Bedrock and Naturita. To go to WW, you won't wanna go the south route for sure....I was going to Moab. We stopped and lolligagged so dunno how long the southern route would take if straight through.

Anyone know?

Usually the southern route (285 to salida, 50 to montrose) takes me about 5 hours from Denver, more if there is bad weather or traffic. from there it is about 1hr north to Grand Junction, then 1 1/2 hr to Moab. If you go montrose to ridgway to naturita to moab, i would allow about 3 1/2 hrs. You can make better times than these, but laws will be broken!

Its supposed to be fixed within 55 days from when work starts. No word yet on when that will be. Apparently some rocks remain embedded in the road.