Sign in to follow this  

getting back in shape

was wondering what you guys do before the riding season to get back in shape? im on a diet winter bear fat you know so ive been eating right again lifting running but not close to the right weight yet, going riding thursday and i know after twenty minutes my hands and forearms are gonna be locked up tight. so what do yous do to get back?

Mountain biking, tread mill and some gym time is how this 42 year old has kept from falling off the wagon this winter.

its all in the cardio... lifting weights is the worst thing you can do for arm pump especially if your lifting with your hands. The pro's do nothing but cardio the last 2 months before race season and through race season. off season you can lift, but cardio is the main ticket to riding for long periods... I used to have major issues with arm pump until my buddy who races supercross informed me to never lift during riding season... i have never gotten arm pump since... and i used to get it bad after only 2-3 laps..

thanks guys, i dont know why that didnt cross my mind about lifting weights. since i need to loose weight anyways cardio is on the work out plan.

I don't think lifting is the worst thing you could do. You should have a balanced workout with weights and cardio anyway. Go for a workout program that incorporates everything like crossfit or even the p90x for a beginner. That way you get stronger, bigger, and in better shape.

I don't get the on season workout and the off season workout, your workout plan should let you be at your peak all year long. You can go through phases where you "bulk" and when you "cut" but they should be minimal changes. If I want to "cut", I add a cardio day every other day for a week or 2 and that's it. I also don't get the pre race diet vs the normal diet, again your diet should be good enough to get you through without making any changes to it.

rednucktruck-

go ask any professional that makes his living riding... their workout regimin is quite a bit different and cardio is the key. If your going to be lifting at all during riding season, you should be doing a crap load of reps... if your lifting weights with your hands, it teaches your arms/fore-arms to pump up quickly with blood. If you teach your arms to pump up, they are going to do this on the dirt bike as well. Nothing is better for arm pump than cardio and riding. Cardio keeps your blood flowing... it doesnt pump your blood to one portion of your body. MX'ers such as chad read if you might recall got bulkier on the off-season by lifting weights... you cant keep a big workout lifting short reps if your going to to get bigger as you put it. When season hits my buddy (I'm not going to name drop) said they work strickly on cardio and speed training.... there are different peaks for a vast amount of sports... bulk or cut phase for wrestling, football, baseball, swimming, etc. Pre race diet same thing... thats why when your in town for hangtown national you see all the racers at the spegetti factory throwing down all those carbs.... :banana:

rednucktruck-

go ask any professional that makes his living riding... their workout regimin is quite a bit different and cardio is the key. If your going to be lifting at all during riding season, you should be doing a crap load of reps... if your lifting weights with your hands, it teaches your arms/fore-arms to pump up quickly with blood. If you teach your arms to pump up, they are going to do this on the dirt bike as well. Nothing is better for arm pump than cardio and riding. Cardio keeps your blood flowing... it doesnt pump your blood to one portion of your body. MX'ers such as chad read if you might recall got bulkier on the off-season by lifting weights... you cant keep a big workout lifting short reps if your going to to get bigger as you put it. When season hits my buddy (I'm not going to name drop) said they work strickly on cardio and speed training.... there are different peaks for a vast amount of sports... bulk or cut phase for wrestling, football, baseball, swimming, etc. Pre race diet same thing... thats why when your in town for hangtown national you see all the racers at the spegetti factory throwing down all those carbs.... :banana:

getting carbs from pasta, grain, bread, etc... makes me slow and tired. All the pasta does is turn to sugar and mess with insulin. Those are horrible ways to get carbs. Vegetables are the good way to get carbs because they also have fiber which regulates the insulin and keeps everything going the way it is supposed to. Diet and training that has been around for 50+ years is not the best way to do things. Carb loading with pasta is not the correct way to get ready for a big physical activity, is your body going to hold onto to all of that "energy" from the carbs the night before until you race and magically just turn it on?

The same old workouts are the same thing. There are a lot of different workouts that stress cardio and getting stronger at the same time. I know it's hard for some people to get because people have been doing the same old thing for 50 years but...

I used to think that you had to do either cardio or weights but that is not the case. It sounds like your friends have a routine that they like but I bet if they changed their diet and workouts they would see a bigger improvement. Even the p90x is a good starting point, it shows you that both can be done, all you have to do is change that workout to fit your body and it works pretty darn good.

Without changing my workouts, I dropped a pant size or two, gained muscle, and have a ton more energy by cutting out bread/pasta and adding more vegetables and nuts/seeds into my diet. Any processed food is rarely eaten by me anymore and I feel a ton better and healthier.

Cardio is key for sure.

Im doing a little experiment on myself right now. All I have been doing for the last month is an intense indoor rowing program. I first learned about rowing at a local Crossfit workout. I liked it so much I went out and bought a Concept 2 rower. Rowing uses multiple muscle groups and works the cardio as well. I feel my core strength has increased as well as my endurance. Its also very low impact which is good for me because I have a reconstructed knee.

Im sold on the rower....

cutting out bread/pasta and adding more vegetables and nuts/seeds into my diet. Any processed food is rarely eaten by me anymore and I feel a ton better and healthier.

Same with me...I cut out wheat,rice,dairy,salt,sugar,potatotes and beans. Also anything that is man made for the most part. A few exceptions such as Greek Yogurt and some occasional beverages. I have lost 15#'s in the last 2 months.

I have been eating lots is lean meats. Fresh Veggies and Fruits and nuts. Definately the way to go.

get one of the things you skweez for your forarm idk wat there call and run......i need to do the same think im goin start joging tomo

Cardio is key for sure.

Im doing a little experiment on myself right now. All I have been doing for the last month is an intense indoor rowing program. I first learned about rowing at a local Crossfit workout. I liked it so much I went out and bought a Concept 2 rower. Rowing uses multiple muscle groups and works the cardio as well. I feel my core strength has increased as well as my endurance. Its also very low impact which is good for me because I have a reconstructed knee.

Im sold on the rower....

Yep, cardio and legs .. with the upper body thrown in as well as the back and are you growing any lats?

Plus low impact ... I'd think this is very good ....

thanks guys, i dont know why that didnt cross my mind about lifting weights. since i need to loose weight anyways cardio is on the work out plan.

The weight lifting should be OK but I'd stick with the low weight, high rep stuff as in the 20-25 rep range ...

You gotta remember you are cross training here for bike riding ... You start trying to build a Mr. Olympia body with heavy weight and an injury can happen ... Do the cardio stuff and carbs ... Don't forget the seat time ...

Yep, cardio and legs .. with the upper body thrown in as well as the back and are you growing any lats?

Plus low impact ... I'd think this is very good ....

Yes...very much so. I cant believe how much my core strength has increased. I was surprised also to see you get a fair ab workout. My average workout is about 1000 strokes...so I think the recovery phase of the stroke works the abs, but you dont really notice it.

The only muscles I find I am missing is the Tri Ceps....so I started back up with the pushups and planks.

thats wut mike alessi did after one of his crashes. he went to big bear and went on the lake and started rowing.

per say, working out doesnt do a great job in the wieght loss department...diet and cardio work together for far better results..i agree on the carb thingy..veggies is a far better way to go to get carbs,but, we americans eat far too many carbs..wieght trainning will help any sport and this includes motocross..i am an avid goldwinger..i train and it help with my riding..the key is to stay in decent shape all yr round and not wait untill spring to train....one should always train and practice harder than the race itself..today the pros are understanding the benifits of staying in shape far better than yrs ago when it was one big party..with strength comes endurance..train heavy and the reps fall into place..mix the cardio up with biking and running and alittle squats for the strenght...my 24yr old son can stay balls to the wall for over 30 mins at a time in practice without a break..i have him run 6days awk and train heavy..and this is during race season...this way, he'll never lose his edge he has on other riders...opertunity comes to those that are prepared