Sign in to follow this  

Rattle can and plastic...

Some of you will laugh....Im laughing myself. Im looking to change the color of my plastic on my DR650. From blue to black....has anyone ever rattle canned their plastic? Recommendations on type of paint? Should I lightly sand the plastic to give some bite for the paint? I know it will chip eventually and the old color will show through. Just dont have a lot of money for new fenders right now and curious if anyones ever done this or am I blowin it?.:banana:

I spray paint everything I can! :banana: I would clean the plastic really well, get a good plastic primer, and a good plastic paint (one that can flex).

As far as sanding goes, I don't know if I would. It may "dull" the appearance of the paint.

We used Krylon paint on my daughters DRZ 250 and it has held up great. All we done was take the plastic off, washed the plastic real good, the used Krylon. This paint is formulated for use on plastic.:banana:

Krylon Fusion is made for plastic and it seems to work. No primer needed, just clean, key (lightly) and spray. It's usable within the first day but still vulnerable to scratches, chips and damage. But I found that after a week (like it says on the can) it's completely cured and good to go.

+1 on the fusion from krylon, great product, hardens well after a few days (in a heated dry garage)

Krylon Fusion is made for plastic and it seems to work. No primer needed, just clean, key (lightly) and spray. It's usable within the first day but still vulnerable to scratches, chips and damage. But I found that after a week (like it says on the can) it's completely cured and good to go.

I use fusion on all my track bikes,dr 650 and kids outdoor toys.

Thanks for the tips! I think I will try the Krylon and giver a shot.