Sign in to follow this  

Injury recovery: Training ideas in the mean time?

I raced the B class this year in the Florida Hare Scramble series and was in position to win the series and move up to the A class until I had a 5th gear get off and about ripped my shoulder off (detached the infraspinatus, supraspinatus and subscapularis tendons).

I basically just got cleared by my PT to start hitting the gym again :banana:(no upper body yet:banghead:) so I'm really excited about that since I have had to be a couch potato for the last 6 weeks.

What are some exercises or training techniques I can start doing that will help me be better when I get back on the bike in June? :lol:

I've always done the typical gym workout and logged around 60 to 100 miles per week on the road bike but I'm looking for some balance and technique drills that I might be able to so with one arm so to speak. Any ideas guys?

Upside down - one handed push ups :lol:

Not really and if you are logging that many miles on a bike, U are probably past most of us out here on workouts ... I'm not sure you can go one-sided with most workout as you will develop an imbalance in <anything you work with> .. The broken side will need the work and you will have range of motion issues with it first and foremost ...

Swimming is always a good workout that will build strength and cardio without pounding UR body...

Too bad about UR get-off ... I'm staying a class f rider to avoid these :banana:

swimming... what he said! ^ if you cant do freestyle (the crawl) try the breast storke.

i swim to rehab my low back when it spasms and strengthen the back muscles gently until i'm ready to ride again.

Best advise I could give will be to listen to your PT, don't rush your come back, and do what is within your limits to try to get back to 100% rotation of your shoulder.

I hear you guys. I'm not trying to rush ANYTHING thats for sure. I wasn't really looking for ideas on actually working out, again I can't do much of anything with my upperbody just yet. I was more looking for balance and agility techniques that would directly crossover to the bike once I get back on.

I was joking about the "one arm" thing. I'm not working out my left for just that unbalanced reason you spoke of. I was hoping that Gary would chime in and give his $.02. I'm thinking of more core balancing stabilizing muscle kind of things right now.

Hmmmmmm :banana:

I'm recovering from a shoulder injury and surgery. I have been working out on a balance board from here,

http://www.fitter1.com/Catalog/Category/63/Products.aspx

I thought I wanted to get a Bongo board from them at first. I told them what I was recovering from and they advised to just get one of their balance boards. The Bongo board was the most difficult to use and she was concerned that I would fall and re-injur my shoulder.

The board has been great and is keeping my core strong.

Good luck!

I'm recovering from a shoulder injury and surgery. I have been working out on a balance board from here,

http://www.fitter1.com/Catalog/Category/63/Products.aspx

The board has been great and is keeping my core strong.

Good luck!

Great concept; however, how well does it really work you. Can you tell a noticible difference in fatigue when you get off of it (sore core more or less)? How often do you do it?

On the surgery note, how far along are you in your recovery? I'm 8 weeks yesterday since surgery and am scheduled til the end of april for Physical Therapy......

I can stretch myself to 150degrees but have a long way to go, just curious as to your injury and rehab.

It works me very well. I do about 15 - 20 minutes a day on it. You don't just try to balance. They give you exercises to do while on it. Not only has my core gotten stronger, but my ankles and knees are getting stronger too. If you are in very good shape already, you might consider one of their more advanced products. Call them and tell them what you want to do and they will steer you in the right direction.

I ripped my Labrum and bankhart cartilage from the 10:00 position to the 4:00 position - it was a significant tear. I am almost 8 weeks past surgery and am feeling very good.

I am not allowed to race for another 6 to 8 weeks but I will be attempting to ride this weekend. I will only be doing slow balance drills and no serious riding. We'll see how it goes. I'm up to 170 degrees by the way.

Take up some board sports for a while. Ouch sounds like a nasty injury. Good luck with it.