Sign in to follow this  

Just got up speed in 5th, Pop!, and the engine locks up...

I was headed home last night in the dark on my CRF450X (I had street tires on at the time) and had just accelerated away from a stop light and had left the traffic behind. I was going somewhere between 60 and 70 mph when something popped, the engine locked up, and the headlight went black. I quickly pulled in the clutch ( I have read on Thumpertalk about transmissions locking up and the last thing I wanted was to have some idiot run over me as I skidded down the pavement).

The back wheel was free with the clutch pulled in so I coasted along in the darkness and pulled over on the shoulder. When I tried to shift down, the gear shift lever was binding and didn't appear to do anything. The thought that was running through my mind was "I wonder if I can get this thing tore down, get parts, and get it back together in time for a Hare Scramble at the end of this month?"

I called my wife and told her I thought my transmission went out and to bring the truck then started to survey the situation in the light of the passing cars. To my surprise and relief, I could see the loose end of the chain laying on the ground with the other end stuck somewhere near the engine. As it turns out, the chain had broke and bound up near the counter shaft. Hopefully it had not damaged the engine case in the process.

When I got it home, I found that the chain was tightly folded back and forth and wedged between the bottom of the countershaft sprocket and the swingarm. I took the swing arm off and was able to get it off. Thankfully, there was no damage to the engine cases (I was running the stock case guard, ground down slightly, with a 15 tooth sprocket). There are, however, some 1/16" deep gouges in the swingarm and the shift lever from the chain.

The clip type masterlink is gone so either the clip came off or the masterlink broke. The chain and sprocket are about a year old and were in fairly good condition.

Something doesn’t quite add up. If the back tire locked up because the chain broke and became jammed, why did it free up when you pulled in the clutch?

Does you engine kick over freely now that the chain is off?

Did it start back up?

Yep, started right up.

Something doesn’t quite add up. If the back tire locked up because the chain broke and became jammed, why did it free up when you pulled in the clutch?

Does you engine kick over freely now that the chain is off?

I didn't state that very clearly. When I heard the pop sound, I assumed the transmission (and consequently the rear wheel) had locked up and quickly grabbed the clutch to avoid skidding. In reality, the back wheel was always free because once the chain broke, it wasn't connected to anything.

dont you just love a broken chain??!! make me fricken jump with joy! glad you didnt get thrown off when that happend. and that the bike is okay!

It was a Primary Drive X Ring. :lol: I know, I know, you get what you pay for.

I have an RK X ring on order today.

Big *phew* is in order on this one...

Reaaaaally lucky in so many ways!!

Now if we can get those Toyota drivers to remember to push in the clutch when the throttle sticks.... :banana: Hear about the dude in San Diego when his PRIUS went wide open on the freeway? ... it wouldn't shut off. Who knew a PRIUS could do 94mph?! :banana:

ya wish those people would just throw the car into nuetral or in park insead of hitting things at 100 mph and killing them selfs, i know throwing the car in to rev works i was pissed at my brother years ago and put his car into rev at 45 mph and the car died and just costed. i know this is a motorcycle site but i figured if anyone who might own a prius and reading this, it might help.

why would you put it into reverse? Put the car into neutral or put the clutch in and then brake, dont turn the car off otherwise your brake booster probably wont work too well..

ya the booster doesnt work that well when the car is off but the brakes will stop when the car is off, people run out of gas all the time and still stop there cars safely. I put it in rev cause i pushed the shifter to hard and right passed nuetral into rev oops. i was just trying to say that there is a safety switch that shuts the car down if need be to save your life.

Crash, were you referring to belleville HS? Hopefully it wont be the sloppy mess that last year was.... heh that made for an intresting race. I made one lap, got tenth in open c. Didnt think I did to bad for my first race! Haha I remember thinking through that entire time, well i guess Im getting broke in right.

How long was the master link on the bike before it failed? And you didn't reuse this master link did you?

And when you installed it, did you make sure it was properly seated?

ya the booster doesnt work that well when the car is off but the brakes will stop when the car is off, people run out of gas all the time and still stop there cars safely. I put it in rev cause i pushed the shifter to hard and right passed nuetral into rev oops. i was just trying to say that there is a safety switch that shuts the car down if need be to save your life.

I know this isn't the main discussion.. but anyone heard the recorded 911 call of the Officer who was driving his family in a lexus, they had time to call the cops, and tell them their car wouldn't stop.. Then you hear everyone in the background start chanting "omg were coming into a intersection, PRAY!" them BAM, all are dead..

What bothers me is, this cop with all this training, didn't think for one second in his head to A: throw the vehicle to neutral, B: kill the ignition, or C: hook his foot under the pedal and pull it back manually..

They instead dialed 911..

My accelerator stuck in my car once, got hooked on my amps power cable.. First reaction was to hit my clutch, second was to hook my foot under the pedal and yank it back.. Tragedy avoided in about 3 seconds :banana:

Crash, were you referring to belleville HS? Hopefully it wont be the sloppy mess that last year was.... heh that made for an intresting race. I made one lap, got tenth in open c. Didnt think I did to bad for my first race! Haha I remember thinking through that entire time, well i guess Im getting broke in right.

No. There is a Hare Scramble at Little Egypt Off Road in Marion, IL on 3/28/10. It definitely has the potential to be a sloppy mess. Look me up if you decide to join in.

How long was the master link on the bike before it failed? And you didn't reuse this master link did you?

And when you installed it, did you make sure it was properly seated?

The chain and the masterlink have been on the bike for over a year. I installed the masterlink when I installed the chain and haven't had the chain or masterlink off since.

I have noticed that the chain guide kept half of the links shiny from contact. The masterlink stuck out even further and I noticed (last weekend) that it was shiny too. I wondered if the chain guide wore the masterlink thin and it failed. I will have to keep an eye on that.

The chain and the masterlink have been on the bike for over a year.

I have noticed that the chain guide kept half of the links shiny from contact. ......

I replace my chains about every year to two, depending on riding conditions and visual inspection. But, I also notice too... when the links become visually worn. Once they do, I replace the chain (good safety precaution).

Sure I know guys who run their chain to breakage, and do so because their chain will last for years and years. But chain maintenance, ride conditions (elements of the environment), and rider style will surely change the length of life for each person, and each person needs to be aware of chain replacement. No two are alike.

I also run an RK GB520EXW (however with a clip master) on all my bikes/quads. Great chain, X-Ring, slim links, and doesn't stretch... even on my 450X, and the abuse I put it through. :banana:

In the borrowed picture below... those shiny spots are known places for wear, and eventually will allow the chain to break if not replaced. Some guys, will let them go flat in those areas.... scary! (the picture also has a broken roller - but not too relevant in this discussion)

http://media.photobucket.com/image/520%20chain%20worn/scifi999/WornChain.jpg

I had one of those heavy duty PRIMARY DRIVE chains on my 450X and while going through a Whup section and on the Gas, the darn thing snapped and went through the case.

The side plate of the chain had broken in 1/2 and then the link came apart.

By the way, the chain and sprockets were almost a year old. I change my chain and sprockets ever year and never had any problems, until I used the PRIMARY DRIVE junk !

Prius "throttle Sticking" was determemd to be hoax. Wonder why? I couldn't guess as my pockects do not run that deep.....