Sign in to follow this  

2010 MaxPower RPM YamahaYZ276F Ice Cube review

Got to ride my 2010 YZ276F today and just wanted to share my experience with everyone,

To start with let me give you a little history on myself. Im 35 6' 1" 225lbs. Currently race +25 A, +30 A, and +35 A in district 13 (VA). Started racing in 1989 in the 80 14-15 class. Moved thru C, B, and then to A in March 1993 where I raced 125A and 250A. Tried to qualify for a couple of nationals but that didnt work out so well. Just raced local VA, NC and SC races. Some personal problems caused me to quit in 1997. Returned to racing part time 2000-2004 (only racing a handful of times each year) I only raced like 5 times last year but plan to do more this year. I did ride a lot last year just didnt do many races. My last bike was a 2009 Honda CRF450R which I sold in September. Ive been wanting to build a big bore for some time now just never had the "balls" to do it. Was scared to dump a bunch of money into a bike I might not like.

Anyway bought my 2010 250F used for $4500. Got the suspension done, MaxPower RPM Ice Cube 276 kit, Stage 2 Hotcams, Dr D exhaust (which I have not received yet) new chain, sprockets, bars, grips and Dunlop 952s.

I might have a total of $6500 in the bike. Still less than a new 1.

I went to Southfork today. A local D13 MX track. They had an open practice. Track is pretty sandy. Lots of jumps. Really fun, fast track.

Now remember I havent ridden in 7 months and have very little time on a stock 250F. The 276 kit is pretty amazing. I really didnt expect that kind of gains from it. No its not like a 450. The mid range is awesome and it still revs pretty far. Yeah its a 4 stroke but you ride it like a 2 stroke. Really let it rev out. Never once felt like it wasnt enough to get me over any of the jumps. A little clutch use gets you over anything out of corners. I can really hammer it in the corners. Im really not used to shifting as the 450 made me lazy being able to stay in 1 gear most of the time. It will take me a few rides to remember to downshift all the time. LOL A good friend of mine was there. We usually go head to head pretty good with me coming out on top most of the time. He stayed about 2 bike lengths in front of me. Never really pulled me anywhere. I caught up in the turns. I mark that up as being off the bike for 7 months and so out of shape. Thought I was going to vomit and I had some blurred vision. Thats sad. After another week or 2 I believe I will be faster on my 276.

You can really feel how much lighter the 250F is compared to the 450. Thats really what I was looking for, something thats not as heavy and doesnt work you as much. Makes everything easier. You can carry so much more speed into, thru, and exiting the corners. It is a lot of fun.

I had a little popping on deceleration but cleared most of it up with the fuel screw. Sounds good and runs awesome. I couldnt be happier. I am really looking forward to getting in better shape so i can be more aggressive on the bike. I was worn slam out after only 2 20 min sessions today. I didnt push the bike to its or my fullest.

Ill keep ya post as I get more time on the bike.

As for the question "Can a big guy be fast on a big bore 250f"? ABSOLUTELY

thanks for listening

icecube1.jpg

icecube.jpg

Nice write up on the big bore, that 2010 looks like it is still in good shape - nice purchase price. Keep us updated when the exhaust comes in, so far I have ridden the 2010 with a full FMF 4.1 system (powerbomb) and the Akrapovic Evolution both had noticeable gains especially up top compared to stock.

Yeah the bike was in pretty good condition considering who rode it. It was Zack Osbornes practice bike. Was told it had less than 30 hours total on bike. It looks like it. I tore it down to the frame and went thru everything. Found a few small thing but nothing major.

I will keep you posted when I get my exhaust. Should be next week.

Matt

yzteardown.jpg

Yeah I got lucky on finding that bike at that price.

Ill be messing with the jetting and gearing more over the next few weeks.

I was impressed with the 2010 yz250 f on the dyno stock with pump fuel the bike makes better torque almost 19 #s and 34.5 hp with in 1.5 hp of the best 250s as they come right from the crate.We are well under way of developing a serious engine package for this model the cylinder head offered flow gains of over 10 cfm over earlyer yzf heads that were modified and competitive.This bike is also eazy to work on

Now that I have a little more time on the bike.................

I have been riding at least every weekend since I built my bike. I put the Dr D on it last weekend and went 1 size richer on the pilot jet, to a 48. That corrected the jetting issue I had. The exhaust made a very impressive increase. I was truely surprised. It had power increase but more noticable was the over rev. I didnt fall flat, It continued to pull. I have never used a Dr D exhaust before but I wont use anything else now. Well worth the money for the increases I got.

The bike continues to impress. The 276 kit is exactly what I was looking for. Its the perfect VET bike. Handles amazing. So light. It corners as good as anything I have ridden. And it doesnt wear you out like a 450. I absolutely love it.

I rode at Morgans Corner MX this weekend and Tony (the owner) who has been watching me ride for over 10 years on a number of different bikes (brands and sizes) said i looked faster, and better in the corners than he has ever seen. If you knew him you would know thats a bold statement from him.

So yeah Im glad I did the BB kit. The bike is just SO MUCH MORE FUN.

thanks for listening

Matt