Sign in to follow this  

Motocross 350cc? Mike Alessi?

From PULPMX / Matthes:

Jimmy Button, former factory rider now rider agent- I don’t know for sure, it’s hard to say really. I know that Carioli went out there and killed the other weekend. But it was a 450 style track, I know it looks cool and it has a linkage. I definitely think the linkage is the way to go. I’m sure Mike Alessi will still holeshot on the thing. I also think that with a fully operational, Dungey and Villopoto, that bike won’t be able to compete. I could be wrong but I know that Carioli won last year’s title on a 390 or whatever. He killed them. He didn’t always get great starts but he still came through the pack pretty good. Who knows? We’ll see and I’m looking forward to it.

Mitch Payton, owner-Pro Circuit- It’s probably not a bad idea, it’s something that everybody talked about a while ago and I guess they followed through with it. However, I just don’t’ see the Japanese going down that path because, for example, Yamaha just built an all-new 450 and so they’re committed to that, the other OEM’s have brought in all new versions of their machines recently so they’re committed to the 450. Also, you can’t forget that that the 450’s share parts with the dual-sport versions and UTV’s as well. Everything with the Japanese is cost right now, they’re not going to put a lot of resources into a very specific bike.

If the 450 was too much for people to ride, then the amateur events would remove them from the races. That’s not the case though, you can be 16 years old and ride one. You don’t need to modify them for sure, maybe throw a pipe on it or something like that because for 90% of the people that buy them, they are fine. They last longer than a 250 for sure.

I don’t think it matters how he’s (Mike) going to do. I think it matters how Carioli is going to do and I think he’ll do fine on it. No one ever knows about Mike, I really don’t know what to say. I think his starts will be fine, unless the starts are ripped really deep and super long. The bike can get out of the gate better than a 450 because it won’t spin.

Jason Weigandt, journalist, Racer X Magazine- I think that for the average guy, it’s a great bike and a great situation. For a lot of guys, the 250 isn’t enough and it costs a ton for maintenance on a fully built one. Then the 450 is too much for a lot of riders. I think KTM’s issue is that, at the very upper level and where they are going to promote this bike. Races like the AMA nationals and the GP’s- you might see the 450 as being the better bike and the bike you need to win. The biggest problem they’re going to have is finding a way to market the bike. How are they going to race it to sell it?

We’ll find out if their pre-season success is an indicator of how the bike is going to do. The European pre-season races are typically pretty erratic. It’s hard to say but I think there’s going to be a time where they say that for 99.9% of the world, the bike is awesome but for that .1% that are the best racers in the world, that’s what they need the bike to work for.

As far as Mike Alessi, I think that last year was his great opportunity. Now he’s got some things stacked up against him like the fact that he’s going to be the only rider racing one down here, it’s an all-new bike that he has to figure out and he’s going about it on a program that no one else has ever done. He’s coming off a bad injury and there area lot of question marks with him. It’s going to be a big job for him to come back to where he was last year and even then, that might not be enough because Ryan Villopoto will be there. It’s going to be awfully tough.

Eric Kehoe, former factory rider and manager, Honda Red Bull racing- I think it’s pretty interesting but for us, the 450 is the number one selling bike. That’s what we’re marketing and focused on right now. We’re also looking forward to improving that bike down the line. I’m not sure what they’re production run is or what kind of numbers that they’re looking to turn out.

There are no plans for Honda to make a 350 or anything like that, we’re looking forward to improving our bike. With Mike racing it, it’s going to be interesting. The starts might prove to be a disadvantage for him as they water them, disc them up and some of them are pretty long. His greatest strength is the start so we’ll see how that turns out.

Jimmy Perry, factory Yamaha manager- As long as they go through all the proper homologations and all that, it will be in dealerships. Then I say bring it on. The best guys usually win the races no matter what bike they’re on. I don’t see it being really an advantage in any areas. But I also don’t see it being a disadvantage either. I think the disadvantages come from not being in shape, not having tunability in your bike and not being able to put it together as a rider. I also think it will be fine on the start.

Andrew Short, factory rider, Honda Red Bull Racing- I don’t think I’m educated enough about that bike to make a judgment on it to be honest. I would think it would be a disadvantage on the starts and on the professional level, it’s too hard to come from the back all the time. I think Mike Alessi needs the start for success and that bike might take away from his advantage so who knows? Who also knows if it is indeed a 350, 380 or 390?

Kenny Watson, manager Hart & Huntington Honda- I think it’s going to be ok, I think if you have the right guy on it the thing will be fine. Antonio Carioli has been killing it over in Europe on the bike, it’s been great for him. I think at some tracks it might be at a slight disadvantage, the ones with the transitions up and down hills. I think a smaller guy like Mike Alessi will be fine on it but I also don’t see the other OEM’s building 350’s anytime soon. But then again, I never thought I’d ever see the OEM’s build good four-strokes!

Full article here: http://www.pulpmx.com/content/350cc-mike-alessi

:banana:

Edited by MotoEye

Who cares about Alessi? I'm scoring one and just hoping its the perfect bike for me! The 250 wasnt enough power and required a lot of maintenance. The 450 for me is just a little too much I think and can get you into a whole lotta trouble! Me and my freinds have been syaing for years that if they made a 350 that it would be perfect. I cant wait!!:banana:

Look at what RV did on a 250 at mxdn a few years ago. It might be an advantage to someone who has enough skill.

Look at what RV did on a 250 at mxdn a few years ago. It might be an advantage to someone who has enough skill.

Exactly.:banana: Who knows how much hp these pro 250fs produce, and when you match that with a guy who really knows how to use it...RV or now CP, they can turn sic laps, anywhere.:lol:

Pourcel put in THE fastest laps of the night on a 250 at Daytona. Seems pretty amazing to me.

Pourcel put in the fastest qualifying time but RV had a better times in the main even. Pourcel put in 1 lap sub 1:04 and RV did 3 sub 1:04, but...... still, very comparable times.

I think if the 350 gets a weight advantage over the 450's then it will be an equal playing field, but if the 350's have the same weight minimum then the 450's will for sure have a big advantage. I think a 350 can and will win the the MX series if Alessi rides anything like he did last year before he got hurt.

Pourcel put in the fastest qualifying time but RV had a better times in the main even. Pourcel put in 1 lap sub 1:04 and RV did 3 sub 1:04, but...... still, very comparable times.

I think if the 350 gets a weight advantage over the 450's then it will be an equal playing field, but if the 350's have the same weight minimum then the 450's will for sure have a big advantage. I think a 350 can and will win the the MX series if Alessi rides anything like he did last year before he got hurt.

I don't see Allessi winning a title if Villopoto is healthy. The 350 might prove me wrong but I don't think it's going to help the 800s starts against Poto, Dungey, Reed and Grant.

Hasn't Alessi packed his bag's and left Europe because he couldn't cut it?

I don't see Allessi winning a title if Villopoto is healthy. The 350 might prove me wrong but I don't think it's going to help the 800s starts against Poto, Dungey, Reed and Grant.

i dont think he will win the title, but i see some moto wins from him if he rides anywhere near what he did last year, even on a 350. I think he could beat RD outdoors but not RV. And that is based on NOTHING

i read rumors somewhere that Allessi and KTM might be done before it even starts and his injuries haven't healed yet

i dont think he will win the title, but i see some moto wins from him if he rides anywhere near what he did last year, even on a 350

i read rumors somewhere that Allessi and KTM might be done before it even starts and his injuries haven't healed yet

I could see him doing well on the 350 somewhere like Texas, flat as a pancake and high heat.

I'm still amazed they left Team Suzuki, I don't see him ever landing in a better situation than that.

I could see him doing well on the 350 somewhere like Texas, flat as a pancake and high heat.

I'm still amazed they left Team Suzuki, I don't see him ever landing in a better situation than that.

I don't think it was the Alessi's choice as far as leaving Suzuki, they were saying even if he won the title Suzuki wasn't going to resign him

Did they leave Suzuki or did Suzuki leave them out in the cold? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Neve mind

MAX!!!

Yep I remember this,

http://www.pulpmx.com/content/excerpt-dmxs-show-roger-decoster

DMXS: Had Mike won the title, would he have stayed at Suzuki?

Roger DeCoster: Mike is a good rider and he’s a good racer, especially outdoor but we could never get him to follow our advice. They wanted to do things their way, they thought that they could do better. After trying for two years to have him work our way, it wasn’t getting any better and championship or not, champion or not, we wouldn’t have had him.

Basically you want his balls to drop?

Yeah, he went back and forth and was going to do this and do that but basically he never listened to our advice.

I don't think the season over there picks-up until March 29th...I guess we will begin to hear more of what he is up to then.

Rumor has it that there was a major blow-up over there and Alessi is out. So if that is true he won't be riding the 350 this summer. The rumor going around says he is looking for a ride over here.

Rumor has it that there was a major blow-up over there and Alessi is out. So if that is true he won't be riding the 350 this summer. The rumor going around says he is looking for a ride over here.

Since the Ol' man seems to be a dictator and Mike won't give him the boot; they should probably start their own team Yammie. Do like JLaw.

Since the Ol' man seems to be a dictator and Mike won't give him the boot; they should probably start their own team Yammie. Do like JLaw.

that will probably have to happen.

Here's the latest from his website, about 2 weeks old.

LATEST

Hi everyone. This is Danielle. After many years of Tony doing an amazing job, I am now taking over the Alessi Weekly.

After spending 3 weeks in Europe we have made it safely home to California. It was very nice to spend a lot of time with KTM Austria and the De Carli team in Rome. We got to see a lot of sites and see a lot of history, as well as do what we went to Europe to do, continue developing the motorcycle. Mike competed in Valence, France at the end of our trip in Europe. The point of racing Valence was to make sure the bike was where he wanted it to be after all the testing he had done with Team De Carli and Antonio Cairoli. Mike believes his bike is great and he is very happy with the progress he has made after spending time in Europe. After getting home on Monday Mike spent the being part of this week getting back into training, followed by riding at the end of the week. Now the real work begins. We have a little over three months before the MX Nationals are here. For the next few weeks Mike will be working hard on making sure everything in his program is running smooth and everyone is focused for what the summer holds.

COMP

Mike got to racein Valence, France with numerous World GP winners. Such as Antoni Cairoli, David Philippaerts, Steve Ramon, Ken de Dycker, Jonathan Barragan, Max Nagle, Tanel Leok, Josh Coppins, Marc de Reuver, and Sebastien Pourcel. Mike was in great company.

MEDLEY

Mike shoulder is about all healed up. Shoulder injuries have been taking a lot of riders we have noticed these last few months. Mike did a great job of pushing through the pain and getting his job done the last few weeks.

MAX!!!

Here's the latest from his website, about 2 weeks old.

LATEST

Hi everyone. This is Danielle. After many years of Tony doing an amazing job, I am now taking over the Alessi Weekly.

After spending 3 weeks in Europe we have made it safely home to California. It was very nice to spend a lot of time with KTM Austria and the De Carli team in Rome. We got to see a lot of sites and see a lot of history, as well as do what we went to Europe to do, continue developing the motorcycle. Mike competed in Valence, France at the end of our trip in Europe. The point of racing Valence was to make sure the bike was where he wanted it to be after all the testing he had done with Team De Carli and Antonio Cairoli. Mike believes his bike is great and he is very happy with the progress he has made after spending time in Europe. After getting home on Monday Mike spent the being part of this week getting back into training, followed by riding at the end of the week. Now the real work begins. We have a little over three months before the MX Nationals are here. For the next few weeks Mike will be working hard on making sure everything in his program is running smooth and everyone is focused for what the summer holds.

COMP

Mike got to racein Valence, France with numerous World GP winners. Such as Antoni Cairoli, David Philippaerts, Steve Ramon, Ken de Dycker, Jonathan Barragan, Max Nagle, Tanel Leok, Josh Coppins, Marc de Reuver, and Sebastien Pourcel. Mike was in great company.

MEDLEY

Mike shoulder is about all healed up. Shoulder injuries have been taking a lot of riders we have noticed these last few months. Mike did a great job of pushing through the pain and getting his job done the last few weeks.

MAX!!!

No mention of him going back to Europe :banana:

nope and apparantly alot has happened in the past two weeks. but you know how rumors can be. And you know how Tony is. Apparently it came to blows. It'll be interesting to say the least.