Sign in to follow this  

XR250R Brake Light

What is necessary to have a brake light on my '86 XR250R? I figured that I could put a hydraulic brake light switch on my banjo bolt, but is there anything else that would be needed?

Do the hydraulic brake light switches have a resistor to dim the light in them, or do they just shut the light off completely? Would I need to add a resistor, different bulb (et. cetera)?

It depends on how you wire it in.

The tail light on the XR is just a single filament bulb. To have a brake/tail light, you need to run an extra wire to the bulb socket. The socket should have a contact for the brake filament of a dual filament bulb, there's just no wire run to it.

You would run a wire from the unused contact in the socket to one side of the banjo switch. The other side of the banjo switch would wire into the tail light wire for power. This is how you should do it. If you don't want to manually wire in the stock socket, you can get a dual filament socket just about anywhere.

If you wired the switch in to just the tail light wire, using the single filament bulb, the only time the tail light would come on is when you touch the brake pedal. Wouldn't be much light for a "brake" light either. The brake filament in a dual filament bulb is bigger, to put out much more light.